iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Companies track Web use and keystrokes

BEST PRACTICES

Companies track Web use and keystrokes

By Jan Bultmann

Many of us spend long hours at our workplaces and have little time to conduct the chores of our personal lives, so we bank or shop using the computer system at work.

But that relatively innocent use of company resources in minutes here or there is riskier than many people think to our jobs and to our personal data.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/04/28/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One additional item that would be helpful: What can we use to determine if there is logging software running on a machine and what level/type it is. While I trust my employer to state what they are doing, I would like to be able to verify what is actually going on.

Thank you for the excellent information in the article on this kind of activity.

Lounger
    Thanks

Gmail or Hotmail HTTPS versions?

In the next to last paragraph of your article you mentioned about Gmail or Hotmail, "You can protect yourself to some degree from Internet monitoring by using HTTPS versions of these programs". Could you please clarify?

Thanks
    Users should be aware that many commercial keyloggers are skipped by spyware scanners. They are "whitelisted" by antivirus programs.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob,
    Do you know of any scanners that will ignore the "whitelists" and display them? This seems like something that should be monitored, even if it is legal.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    My company use's an iron-port security device, in order to scan all incoming websites, it gets in the middle of all https connections.
    So https would not help to protect what you are doing....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandi View Post
    Bob, Do you know of any scanners that will ignore the "whitelists" and display them? This seems like something that should be monitored, even if it is legal.
    I would like to know that too. Can't believe that you have not received an answer yet.