Thanks

When are we going to be allowed to change out user names

During the old Lounge days we were able to change our user names. Since the new Lounge debutted, we have had to use whatever names were initially signed on with back when we first joined. We were told that this feature would be available shortly. Well, shortly has now passed. Any idea when this feature will be available. Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I had posted an update about this to staff, but wasn't sure if it needed to be communicated publicly beyond that - figured it could be handled on a case by case basis.

Since you asked, I think we have a case on our hands! When the feature got to our development team, it was criticized, discussed further, and deemed to not be a good idea for the community long term... Modern forums universally enforce a unique username policy. That isn't just to save confusion while logging in to the site, but its also to save confusion for other members and moderators. What happens when there are 5 Joe's in one thread? It starts to look like someone has an identity crisis. What happens if a member is trying to stir up trouble and changes their username to impersonate someone else? If people can change their name at will, over time it can be difficult to identify who someone is on the website... In a small community, something like that can work alright, but as the community has grown, and continues to grow... It makes more sense to respect usernames and set them in stone - they are our online identity, and how members come to recognize eachother here!

That said however, any members like yourself from older board revisions can have their username changed by a member of staff - If there is a username you've used in the past which you prefer to be identified as here, we can change your username for you. That is then what will appear next to posts, what you will use to login to the forums, and how everyone will recognize you going forward. Just let me know what you want your name to be, and I can make it happen.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I.M.O.G. For This Useful Post:

Medico (2011-05-04)

Thanks
    Matt,

I would like to use my real name Ted Myers. I realize there may be more than one Ted Myers on the forum, but I would be the only one using my real name since I am the first to request this. Thank you.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    No problem Ted, it is first come first serve around here. You were the quickest Ted Myers on the draw, so you've staked your claim.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement