Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Silverlight Development Package,Client Compression Package & Net Framework

My friend's OS is XP with SP3. She has all of the Microsoft items listed in the thread title, with various Net Framework editions including one referred to as "Pre XP".

All the above have been installed as a result of Automatic Updates (which I recently changed to notify but don't automatically download) and I would appreciate advice as to which items she can uninstall. (The Silverlight Development Package is uninstallable according to Add/Remove Programs,but if anyone knows of any way round this I would appreciate details).

I realise some of her apps may need one version or another of Net Framework to work properly, but I can deal with that as and when the problem arises.

Thanks in anticipation of receiving advice on this.

Regards,
    Roy

Thanks
    The best program I have found is,Revo Uninstaller;http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html
    BTW,it's FREE!
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The Client Compression Pack is used to distribute patches. I'd leave that alone. See XP client compression pack for details.

If you are willing to deal with the issues, you can remove any or all of the .NET framework packages.

Not sure about the Silverlight Development Package. Is that in Add/Remove Programs? If so, is that the exact name? Is it from Microsoft? What version?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would create a backup image of the system before doing anything.
    That aside, the .Net framework can be a pain to deal with. Unless you are having problems, I don't see why you would remove it. There are a few apps that require .Net and, while removing and installing again can be done without issues, it can also be a living hell to reinstall. I had to do it recently and I was unable to reinstall. I had, instead, to revert to an image done before the removal and had to accept that I will live without the app that was having issues (it was the support for this app that recommended a removal and reinstalation of .Net).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your replies.

Because my friend was having other issues with her computer I decided to do a repair install using her XP SP3 cd. I entered setup and next pressed F8 to accept the EULA, but on the next screen did not get an option to repair XP, so I went ahead and did a clean install, having a full backup up to date image on another internal hard disk. I started off with a complete (not quick) format. Everything went OK, except that the drive letter for the OS changed to D instead of C, and when I tried to change drive letters in Disk Management I was told you can’t change the drive letter on the system disk.

My next step was to reinstall the backup program, because the backup folder is still there, although the drive letter is now C instead of F, and I did this from the installer on my pen drive. This went through the install procedure and required a restart.NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS!! When I restarted I was told “Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”. I restarted and pressed F2 but that didn’t work, so I restarted and pressed F11, but that didn’t work either, and pressing the Esc key did nothing.

If anyone can give me advice on overcoming this problem I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

I found the reason for the boot problem. After I installed the backup program I was called away from my computer and forgot that after removing my pen drive I didn't reattach the usb keyboard. Stupid of me. Having said that, if anyone can tell me how to change the operating drive letter from D to C I would appreciate it.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2011-04-28 at 12:58. Reason: Corrections & Amendments To My Post