Thanks

In the Market for a New Laptop?

I'm getting close to needing a new laptop. The Lenovo X61 I have is starting to feel like it's getting a little long on the tooth, as is XP & 32 bit. I'll probably move up to the X220 series.

So I've been looking around by going to various makers online, but I don't realy see anything I like. I want something that is powerfull, light weight, and sleek in design with a decent keyboard, not to mention decent resolution.

Then I stumbles upon this, by Paul Thurrott of Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows.

Paul Thurrott must be a little bored or a little crazy, but the idea is interesting and somewhat tantalizing...

MacBook Air + Windows 7, Part One: The Best of Both Worlds?
    MacBook Air + Windows 7, Part Two: An Imperfect Storm

I don't care for MAC or anything apple software/ operating system related, but I must admit, I do like the look of their ipad, and many of their laptop designs blow away most other verdors design offerings.

So what do you think? Something to consider, or just plain nuts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I am a regular visiotor of Paul's site and had read the two posts on using the Air with Windows 7. Unless you have the same needs as he does for portability, I would find it hard to part with so much money for the Apple's hardware, when there are so many cheaper options from other manufacturers. I wouldn't do it, but then I do not need to carry around the laptop for long (I currently own a Toshiba Portege M750), which strikes a reasonable compromise for me. Anyway, I must confess I was never an Apple fan and will hardly be tempted by their hardware at premium prices.

Thanks
    I have been very happy with our Sony Vaio laptops. My wife and I each have one and we purchased one for our daughter. All are VGN-FW series. These seem to be mid range, but can be customized quite a bit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post

So what do you think? Something to consider, or just plain nuts?
    CLiNT,
    Hello... For me HP is the way to go...Don't own a laptop ...But after looking around at some ..I like HP... check out this site http://www.best-rated-laptops-guide....computers.html Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    CLiNT,

I've had very good luck with good ole Dell. My wife is using my old Core 2 Duo Inspiron 1505 - 15.4". This machine came with VISTA and has been inplace upgraded to Win 7 32 successfully then Clean installed up to Win 64 bit all w/o a single glitch! This machine was purchased in 2007. I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 1564 with i5-M430 processor purchased last April. I've been extremely happy with this machine. This is the 1st Laptop I've purchased w/o an add-on video card and it handles Aero just fine. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on my 3rd Dell laptop. My wife had an Inspiron 600m, which she had for 5 years and we replaced with an Acer netbook in Nov of 2009. I had an Inspiron 6000 which I used for 4 years and was replaced with a Studio 1555 in Jan of 2010. The 600m was sold to a co-worker, the 6000 was given to my daughter. I also bought another Acer netbook last Oct for myself, for traveling. So I've become a Dell fan for the most part. But these Acer netbooks are pretty good too.
    Chuck