New Lounger
    Lisbon, Portugal

Change language macro for PPT 2010

Translators begin translating a PPT file by changing the language applying to all text in slides, text boxes, notes, etc.... or at least that's what they'd like to be able to do.
    (Amazing after all these years that MS has never understood this need that is so essential to tens of thousands of translators worldwide )
    Translators contributing to Proz (see have suggested a macro for doing this in PPT 2007. I've tried to get this to work in PPT 2010 but with no success. Can someone suggest why this might be so or what I might be doing wrong (I'm a raw amateur with macros).
    The macro proposed by Andrew Alix is:
    Sub ChangeLanguage()
    Dim sld As Slide, shp As Shape
    For Each sld In ActivePresentation.Slides
    For Each shp In sld.Shapes
    If shp.HasTextFrame Then
    shp.TextFrame.TextRange.LanguageID = msoLanguageIDEnglishUK
    End If
    Next shp
    sld.NotesPage.Shapes.Placeholders(2).TextFrame.Tex tRange.LanguageID = msoLanguageIDEnglishUK
    Next sld
    End Sub

Not sure about the placeholders code line after "Next shp" though I think it works.

3 Star Lounger
    Durham, Durham, United Kingdom
    In what way does it fail?

Placeholders(2) is usually (but not always) the placeholder containg the notes text so it makes some sense.

The macro really needs to go much further and look at all masters, custom layouts, diagrams. smart art, groups etc but in 2007 onwards the object model is restricted and makes this more difficult. There is also a bug in 2010 so that when you change the default language for future slides it doesn't "Take" unless you close and save. I know Microsoft are aware of this so maybe a Service Pack or Hotfix will fix it in the future but I don't know this for certain. In the meantime you should save the presentation after setting the new default.

We are currently working on a program to change the language in 2007/10 ONLY using a different XML based approach and if you would like to be a tester you can drop me a line john ATSIGN The beta would be soley for your own personal use and could not be distributed.