New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 just quits

I am having a problem on two different computers. The machines will be operating normally and suddenly they just quit. The display goes blank, a no signal display comes up on the monitor, but the computer continues to run. I cannot access the computer from across the network, so I don't think it is a video problem. I have installed temperature monitoring software thinking it might be a processor getting hot, but the temps are all within acceptable ranges. I have not found a way to make this happen. Sometimes it will happen as soon as I boot the machine and at other times it can take hours to happen. The power light stays on and all of the fans continue to run. As far as I can tell the HD continues to spin as well. The only way to recover from this is to pull the plug and hard boot. At that point I get the Windows was shut down improperly message.

It seems to have started in the last two or three months. The first computer is a Gateway running windows 7 Home Premium. It was purchase new about 18 months ago and had been operating fine until this started. The second computer is a white box that was my son's computer until Christmas when we built him a new computer. We bought a copy of the Windows 7 Family 3 pack that is installed on the problem machine and my sons new machine. My son has not reported the same issue as the two problem machines, but he is off at college. He is savvy enough to be the "computer guy" at his college (small liberal arts college in KS), so I don't think he is having the problem. I am running MS Security Essentials on all of our computers (six machines in total) and have scanned them using SuperAntiSpyware with negative results (ie nothing found). I have talked to my network of "computer guys" and they are at a loss as well. Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm running out of trouble shooting ideas so any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a guess. Re-seat your memory modules. Pull them and push them back in, making sure they are seated properly.

Thanks
    Does pushing the power button momentarily cause the PC to do a normal Windows shutdown? (I assume the power button is configured to shut down in Control Panel> Power Options). If it does, the problem is Video related. if not, the PC is hung. Run a memory test (Start orb> type Windows memory diagnostic) to verify you don't have a memory problem. Also make sure the fan on the video card is running if you have one.

Jerry

Thanks
    Check through the event viewer for errors relating to exact time and date of these occurrences
    Run: eventvwr.msc

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps this was already suggested by your guru friends but just in case not, I would check the power supply. If you don't have access to a quality tester then find another power supply (of known quality) and try that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My guess would be either the video card, video driver or the monitor, especially if the systems continue to run. Based on the description, it appears that the screen saver is kicking in, but you are unable to wrest control of the system from the screen saver. First, if you are using a third-party screen saver, I suggest disabling/uninstalling it. (BTW, free second-party screen savers are notorious for installing all kinds of viruses.) Then I would turn off the screen saver entirely. I would also update the video driver to the latest level. If after that it still occurs, I would suspect the monitors (though I rather doubt that two monitors would fail at the same time, but it is possible!)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Folks, thanks for the ideas and a special thanks to CLiNT. I ran the event viewer on both machines with good results. I have to do more research, but there are several errors and a couple of critical events that seem to be relevant. I will report back when I have isolated the real problem. As a follow-on, have any of you tried the reimaging service advertised in the info packets newsletter? I'm thinking this might be a worthwhile thing to try. Thanks again for the ideas.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Having the same/similar problem with my Dell XPS with Windows 7 Pro. Machine is only 3 months old and has been running well. Then this past week, while running on Battery the computer shutdown without warning (had been running about 1 hour and the battery charge was still good). No indication of the cause. Rebooted, and it ran for another 15 mins or so, then it shutdown again. Rebooted, ran another 15 mins and it shutdown again. <sigh>.

When I got home, running on AC, it was running ok... Then I let it sit long enough for 'sleep' to occur. Screen went blank, but power button remained ON (steady). Was not able to get the screen to come back - system was 'locked up'. Had to use the 8 Second press of Power button to reboot. Saw this occur every time it went into Sleep. Calls to Dell were frustrating - updated BIOS & Drivers - A/V Scans, Hardware Tests, etc. No problems detected, but the problem remained. Turned Sleep mode to 'Never' and did not see the problem again.

Today I had a new Motherboard and 2 daughterboards installed. (Did have a bad analog audio out Jack, which was fixed). Bootup and diagnostics all looked good. To see if I still had a 'Sleep' problem, I reactivated Sleep mode. This time I was treated to the BSOD!! Good Grief! Won't have time to mess with this for a few days, so have turn Sleep mode off again.

Strange that these problems just started happening. Don't know what to attribute them to.

Any ideas?
    TIA
    Al

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All, Sorry for taking so long to report back, but here was the deal for my Gateway in the original post. After much nashing of teeth and testing of components it turns out it was a combination of problems. Short story was we replaced the power supply and the hard drive. Part of the thinking was that the intermittent power supply helped to take down the HD. I think the second machine is probably "just" the power supply. It quits cleanly, meaning it just shuts down, but will reboot without having to unplug the machine or anything like that. While initially I was willing to put the evil eye on Windows 7, it appears it was only the hardware letting me down. We have been running the repaired Gateway for almost three weeks without a single instance of failure, so I'm ready to declare it fixed. So, of course, I'll be logging on tomorrow to report a sudden change in status. ;-).
    Last edited by hbwise; 2011-06-09 at 15:47. Reason: grammer typo's
    HB

Art for Money.

Thanks
    With today's systems, the power supply is almost an integral part of the motherboard. A failing power supply can throw all sorts of weird symtoms at you, none of which might even hint at the power supply. I replaced two motherboards (within the 90 day warranty) on a client's machine a year or so ago, but it was the power supply the whole time. The power supply even tested good with a quality tester!

As luck would have it, I had a bench machine with the same basic configuration as the client's , so I was able to swap out known good parts one at a time (CPU, Memory modules, and finally power supply). I was also able to test his parts in my known good setup. My known good power supply cured all his ills. I put a new power supply in his machine, and it has been running just fine for over a year now.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows