Thread: Black screen

New Lounger
    Thanks

Black screen

Hi All
    Hope I am in the correct area.

I am repairing a dell M1710. I have the following problem. the video card geforce 7950GTX was faulty (it was fried) so got a new one and I installed it. now I am getting a black screen after Microsoft corporation bar with the mouse in the center the mouse can move. Cannot even open in safe mode.
    I have done the diagnostic tests and all have passed. I have taken out the memory sticks to check and they are fine. I am running out of ideas.
    Thanks
    Dougie

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    now I am getting a black screen after Microsoft corporation bar with the mouse in the center the mouse can move.
    Dougie,
    Hello...Just a guess... Sometimes after doing a recovery(or messing with Nvidia Drivers) i get the black screen ...But also the windows welcome sound...then nothing. I then have found that if i input my password..and enter... the PC gives another sound ,but still black screen.In my example if i look at my 2nd monitor (TV) the desk top was (is) there.. Wrong screen resolution and not set up for multiple monitors... Then i can configure my Nvidia VGA card using the TV monitor, to get my PC monitor back.... So have you tried to input your password? (even though you can't see anything) Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Just Plain Fred
    thanks for reply
    I did as you suggested no joy I am afraid. I also disconnected from the laptop screen and attached the laptop to a monitor through on board video port at back of laptop. that still didnt work.
    King regards
    Dougie

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Dougie,
    Hello...Do you have anything, such as a flash drive,External Drive, or DVD \ CD inserted into your PC when booting up? Regards Fred

PS: Did you Hear the "log on sound"? and input your password?
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-04-30 at 19:52.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Fred
    No nothing in the DVD player or anything else attached to it. No didn't here any sound at log in sound to put in password.

Thanks Dougie

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried to boot to bios and check video is set to PCI mode? and check anything else related to that.
    Could also reset bios to fail-safe default settings and see if that resolves black screen. Then can go back to bios to reset boot options etc, as wrong hard disc may have been set to boot.
    Also if able to boot using F8 to choose command prompt try running 'sfc /scannow /r /f' to see if it repair the graphic drivers as the fried card seems to have fried the drivers also.

Hi All
    Hope I am in the correct area.

I am repairing a dell M1710. I have the following problem. the video card geforce 7950GTX was faulty (it was fried) so got a new one and I installed it. now I am getting a black screen after Microsoft corporation bar with the mouse in the center the mouse can move. Cannot even open in safe mode.
    I have done the diagnostic tests and all have passed. I have taken out the memory sticks to check and they are fine. I am running out of ideas.
    Thanks
    Dougie
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-05-01 at 05:35. Reason: Bad fingers

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Fred
    No nothing in the DVD player or anything else attached to it. No didn't here any sound at log in sound to put in password.

Thanks Dougie
    Hello...Yes as curiousclive has stated try to enter "BIOS" (Esc or F-10) at boot timeand check the video settings. Also If you are able enter "Boot Menu" and select your HD and hit "enter"...Don't know how the settings would change other than a bad "Battery" check it out or just replace it to be on the safe side. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes tried your suggestions CuriousClive I seem to be able see the list when I press f8 but after that it goes into the black screen but I know that the programs are running behind it. after a while left idle the screen saver comes on and can see the windows visya logo moving accross the screen. Fred I have removed the battery and just on ac power.

Dougie

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes tried your suggestions CuriousClive I seem to be able see the list when I press f8 but after that it goes into the black screen but I know that the programs are running behind it. after a while left idle the screen saver comes on and can see the windows visya logo moving accross the screen. Fred I have removed the battery and just on ac power.

Dougie
    Dougie,
    Hello... no the internal (small disk type) battery Clock \ BIOS It needs to be there. Regards Fred

PS: did you try the "Boot Menu" trick"? On my OS Esc.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-01 at 11:07.
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    lads
    I have tried boot menu. I am wondering would a clean install solve the problem.

Dougie

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    lads
    I have tried boot menu. I am wondering would a clean install solve the problem.

Dougie
    Hello... Yes ...but somewhat drastic... you could do a "repair" as long as you have the disk... Also What about the "CMOS" battery? Regards Fred

PS: See This...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonvolatile_BIOS_memory
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-01 at 14:17.
    PlainFred

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Dougie (2011-05-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well lads took the bull by the horns and did a clean install. everything is now working. I wish to thank those that posted to this thread especially, Just Plain Fred, for your assistance. It is great that there is help for all types of pc users from beginners to experts in this forum.

Kindest regards
    Dougie

Thanks
    Now that you have things working properly, create an Image, immediately. Then create a new Image when you change something. This way when something goes wrong, you can get back to before the problem in less than 10 minutes. Check out the numerous posts in the Security and Backup forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy