Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Create association for Windows Explorer.

hello Everyone,

I have a strange issue that developed after the install of SP-1 for Win 7. When I click on my computer, I double click on the C:\ drive innthe upper center of teh screen and i get this error message.

"The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed, create an association in the Defaults Program Control Panel"

Before SP-1 was installed I could double click on the small graphic of the C drive and it would expand to show the folders. Now I must double click on the left side tree of the computer>C Drive> sub folder that I want to access. Also sometimes I get a error message saying the computer is looking for a PureHD.msi file but I can not locate this file. Can anyone offer any suggestions or ideas to resolve these two small issues. I have a Dell Win 7 32 bit Ultimate installed.

Thank you

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume you are clicking on an icon on the desktop. You could try deleting the icon and re-creating it - open Explorer to the C: drive and drag the icon in the address bar to the desktop.

I have no idea about the PureHD.msi file, that is probably related to some software that came with your PC (and I ain't got it!)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    All I can is that it is a "pureHD.msi is a torrent download".

What and from where are you downloading?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    See if this Microsoft Answers forum message helps the Pure HD error.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As for the PureHD.msi issue, I have Corel Paint Shop Pro X3 installed and I do not download anything via Torrent. As for help with the other suggestions I will check it out..))

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well the windows installer clean up tool seemed to help and cure the PureHD.msi message. To help clarify my first post, When I click my computer the following screen opens, if I click on the C drive in the middle upper section of the screen I get the error message. But I need to go to the left side of the screen and then click on the C drive to be able to access a folder. Before I installed SP1, I was able to click on the C drive icon instead. I hope this may help make clear what the issue is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the suggestion in the second post about copying the icon for the C drive and this did not work at all. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    this looks like the same problem, and how to fix it http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-9e3ead88ccdf

if not try this, http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/for...hd-282837.html

Looks like some bloatware that Dell shipped with the system

New Lounger
    Thanks

Last Post

The problem with the PureHD.msi message I received wasd cured by running the Windows Installer Clean Up utility program, I found the PureHD entry and removed it and it solved the problem. The other issue about creating a file association for windows explorer has not been resolved. Any ideas?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Irishman1,

1: what happens if you click the icon for F: drive ?

2. If you right click on the C: drive what options are in the menu ?

3. Go to Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management, it should show something like the following (I think)

OS (C) Volume - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    System Reserved Volume - Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

nw2222

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello there,

To answer your questions I hope this helps.

1 F drive is the device called MajicJack Its a good phone and saves lots of money on long distance calls.

2, The two attached jpg files should provide a answer to the other questions. I hope this helps.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    By the way a good 3rd party partition management app such as Partition Wizard could reclaim that unallocated 14.65 GB space in front of your OS partition and add it to the C Drive. Unfortunately the WIn 7 Disk Manager cannot reclaim space in front of the C Drive, only behind it. That's why a 3rd party app would be needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you but the partition is not the issue. Its creating a association with Windows Explorer. As I indicated when I double click on the C drive in the first graphic, I get a error message asking to associate a program to view the C drive

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Irishman1, I see the following in your context menu

Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
    Scan with IObit Security 360 (IO_S360)
    Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti Malware (MWB-AM)

Which one of those runs as your real time scanner, you should only have one of them running all of the time.

I run MSE as my main anti virus, i.e. it runs all the time. However I have MWB-AM & SuperAntiSpyware installed but NOT running, I use them once a month to do full scans after terminating MSE and unplugging the network.

Your problem is not unique, the following link will take you to a thread at Microsoft that addresses the problem.
    In some instances it appears to have been caused by spurious anti virus software infecting people's computers.
    It would seem that either critical entries have been removed from the Windows registry, some spurious entries have been added.
    Which means you'll probably have to effect some manual registry repairs, either via the tools that MS suggest, or more directly.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...f-cfe6154affce

I found that link by copying and pasting the error message, exactly as you typed it in your opening post for this thread, into Google. There are many other links about the error - click the following to get the Google results list.

http://www.google.com/search?q=The+f...+Control+Panel

Sorry I couldn't solve your problem direct, but I've not experienced it myself

Good luck, let us know how you go - and feel free to ask more questions - cheers nw2222
    Last edited by northwood2222; 2011-05-05 at 00:02.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello NW,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. To answer your questions I run Iobit and MSE at the same time, both have worked great in catching any potential problems and the MWB-AMW was was just finished running to make sure nothing else was picked up and when it reported the computer was clean, I removed it from the computer and will install again if needed.

Now for the other problem, I was able to solve it. I was able to restore the default directory and folder extensions by following the instructions and link on this page.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ssociated.html

Download and merge the Directory and Folder options in the tutorial below. It will restore the default associations for them and hopefully allow you to be able to open folders again after the restart.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

This solved the problem and now I can double click on the main C drive and the sub directories show up as they are supposed to do. Thank you for the help and if anyone else has this issue, please follow the simple instructions to get this fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast