3 Star Lounger

Event Logger Save Dump Crash

I've done done reading on Save Dump errors so have a bit of an understanding on what may be going on.

This happens periodically. Computer is going along fine and then .......suddenly......for no apparent reason it reboots. Maybe once a week on average.

This is the Event Logger message when I right click on SAVE DUMP and hit PROPERTIES:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0xb4e57358, 0xa4c97bc0, 0xa4c978bc). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042811-01.dmp.

I will start with I use Norton GoBack and am aware of the MBR issues with it. However I don't think that is part of this problem. Feel free to correct me.

The computer is on a wired network and the problem has happened even when it is the only computer powered up on the network.

It doesn't seem to matter what programs are running or whether I'm using the keyboard or not.

There is a phone line to the PC modem that is for faxing out.

So far I have:

I've put in a new power supply and it still happens.

Removed my UPS backup power supply from the system. Just did that so don't know if it will solve the problem but from what I've read so far it is probably not the issue.

Now....from what I've read.......this could be the issue. Just before it reboots I hear a loud humming/groaning noise from the speakers. I use streaming radio with Windows Media Player so that is always on. Suddenly the music stops, I get the load hum/groan and then........reboot.

It is an integrated sound card on the motherboard. Gigabyte board with a Core2 2.4 ghz cpu and 2 gig of RAM.

I'm sure I can disable the onboard sound and insert a separate PCI sound card. Would you all agree that is the next best plan of action?

BH Davis

Cardiff, UK
    Usual causes: Insufficient disk space, Device driver, Video card, BIOS, Breakpoint with no debugger attached, Hardware incompatibility, Faulty system service, Memory, 3rd party remote control
    Resolving the Problem

If you are not equipped to debug this problem, you should use some basic troubleshooting techniques.

* Make sure you have enough disk space.
    * If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.

* Try changing video adapters.
    * Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.
    * Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you plan to debug this problem, you might find it difficult to obtain a stack trace. Parameter 2 (the exception address) should identify the driver or function that caused this problem.

If exception code 0x80000003 occurs, a hard-coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but the system was started with the /NODEBUG switch. This problem should rarely occur. If it occurs repeatedly, make sure that a kernel debugger is connected and the system is started with the /DEBUG switch.

If exception code 0x80000002 occurs, the trap frame supplies additional information.

If you do not know the specific cause of the exception, consider the following issues:

* Hardware incompatibility. Make sure that any new hardware that is installed is listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.
    * Faulty device driver or system service. A faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you must start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is installed, you can remove the service by starting the computer by using the Recovery Console and then deleting the offending system service file.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x7E. Not so simple as unplugging a few items Begin with hardware checks - RAM (MemTest86+), Chkdsk and/or diagnostics from the hard drive maker. Move on to drivers, ensure all your hardware drivers are updated.

Gold Lounger
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdavis View Post
    Would you all agree that is the next best plan of action?
    Hello... Most times these are difficult problems to solve... but it's best to start with the easiest things first. I have had "re-boot" problems in the past, and there were several reasons as to why... the easy one... was a loose motherboard... Give a good "rap" to the PC and see if you can make it re-boot. If so, this could indicate a loose connection somewhere ...a cable or a card not seating properly (or in my case a loose motherboard ). The others are more difficult to find ... Driver update, or some other software problem (update etc.) back Regards Fred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)