1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting automatic System Restore frequency

Is there any way I can change the frequency of automatically saving a Restore Point?

My system doesn't seem to save more than 2 restore points even though I have set the available disc space for System Protection to 50Gb.

Does Windows set a Restore Point every day or only when it detects a change?

As the attached screenshot shows I am only able to see Restore Points for a critical update (28th Apr) & a manual point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge. It's always nice to hear new perspectives.

Rather than relying on System Restore for your system protection, the better choice would be a full system Image. Check in the Security and Backup forum for many discussions on Imaging. System Restore only protects the Windows System files, but does nothing for thr rest of the apps and customizations or data on your system. Quite frankly many of us who create Up To Date Images whenever we make changes to our systems (either through updates or adding apps, etc) have turned System Restore right off and never looked back.

To back up data, incremental back up is much more appropriate as this data is NOT backed up with System Restore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

rickarm (2011-05-07)

Thanks
    Rick,

You might find this information on System Restore useful.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

rickarm (2011-05-07)

7. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I, too, have experienced a lack of restore points when I expected far more, and have been left scratching my head.

In one thread (not located) Joe P suggested that the author of the OP could make a shortcut to create manual restore points when they might be needed (and not be automatic). Whether or not he was serious, I have done exactly that, and I don't regret it. I try to pick golden moments when everything is working perfectly, although that happens to be the best time for a full image as well. I put OK in the description, because that is the state I want to restore it to.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I, too, have experienced a lack of restore points when I expected far more, and have been left scratching my head.

In one thread (not located) Joe P suggested that the author of the OP could make a shortcut to create manual restore points when they might be needed (and not be automatic). Whether or not he was serious, I have done exactly that, and I don't regret it. I try to pick golden moments when everything is working perfectly, although that happens to be the best time for a full image as well.
    I don't remember where I found this, but it may well have been from a Joe P post here. How To Geek shows how to make an icon to use for manually creating a restore point. The article is for Win Vista, but this works fine for me on Win 7 64bit.
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to johjue For This Useful Post:

rickarm (2011-05-07)

10. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.

I did not know that one could set a schedule to automatically do Restore points. My understanding is that it does a RP when a new PRG is added as when doing Updates. If you want to do one manually, that is possible.

Also, I do RP when needed. It is a fast way to resume working after a "bug" is installed. Doing a clone is paramount too but a Restore for just one small glitch is much quicker. Redoing a single folder is much quicker too from a clone vs a backup.

Have fun. Jean.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

rickarm (2011-05-07)

Thanks

Cool

It would be nice, if the OP's question could be answered without trying to run him off into a dirt road. EH?

There is a nice little script where you can set the frequency for restore points.

'SP_SRP_Freq.vbs - A utility to change the frequency WinXP System Restore
    'creates Restore Points. FOR WINDOWS XP ONLY!
    '© Bill James - created 31 Dec 2001

Option Explicit : Dim cFreq, pFreq, msg

cFreq = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:SystemRestore Config='SR'").RPGlobalInterval / 60 / 60

If cFreq = 24 Then

msg = "Your System Restore Point creation interval is set to the default value of 24 hours."
    Else
    msg = "The default System Restore Point creation interval is 24 hours. Your computer is set to create a System Restore Point every " & cFreq & " hours."
    End If
    msg = msg & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & "If you want to change the frequency, enter the number of HOURS to change the frequency to:"

pFreq = InputBox(msg, "Set System Restore Point Frequency", 24)

If pFreq <> "" Then

If CInt(pFreq) <> cFreq Then
    With GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonat e}!root/default:SystemRestoreConfig='SR'")
    .RPGlobalInterval = pFreq * 60 * 60 : .Put_
    End With
    End If
    End If

Just copy and paste the blue lines into a Notepad document and save with the name:
    SetRestorePointInterval.vbs

And there is also a script to force a new restore point, whenever you run it. I just put the script in my root directory and the shortcut to the script in my "Startup" folder for an automatic daily Restore Point on every boot up. Here's the script.

Set SRP=GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemres tore")
    CSRP=SRP.CreateRestorePoint("Hacked the registry", 0, 100)

Save those two lines into a NOTEPAD document with a name like:
    Set Restore Point.vbs

You may change the name of the restore point from "Hacked the registry" to whatever you like. I just left mine like that.....it sort of stands out in a crowd, so to speak. lol

System Restore is always your first line of defense if you install some program and then want to get rid of it quickly, or if something messes up your desktop. Just go back a few hours, or a day and you're right back in business.

It does not replace a full C: drive backup, but it's sure a lot faster for those little "Oppps!" that come along every now and again.
    I have to use system restore at least once a week myself. Oppps!

Cheers mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2011-05-05), rickarm (2011-05-07)

14. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    It would be nice, if the OP's question could be answered without trying to run him off into a dirt road. EH?

It does not replace a full C: drive backup, but it's sure a lot faster for those little "Oppps!" that come along every now and again.
    Cheers mate!
    The Doctor
    Thank you for a very useful post. The only reminder I would add is that if you restore to an earlier time from image or backup, you will lose any new data you have created since it was recorded unless you have backed that up separately (or have it on a different partition that is not part of the restore).

15. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    Thank you for a very useful post. The only reminder I would add is that if you restore to an earlier time from image or backup, you will lose any new data you have created since it was recorded unless you have backed that up separately (or have it on a different partition that is not part of the restore).
    Very true, which is why I am big proponent of a multi-tiered backup scheme.
    Chuck

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

rickarm (2011-05-07)

17. Lounger
    Thanks
    I like the idea of DrWho's scripts for restore points, but cannot get them to work. The first one (to set the interval) comes back with:

Windows Script Host
    Line 7
    Char 1
    Error 0x80041021
    Code 80041021
    Source (null)

The second one (to create a restore point) results in:

Windows Script Host
    Line 1
    Char 1
    Error 0x80041021
    Code 80041021
    Source (null)

I am running XP SP3, fully patched. I would like to use these scripts, as they are a great idea. Any help, please?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundaburra For This Useful Post:

rickarm (2011-05-07)

19. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted,
    I take your point that System Restore has its limitations. Will need to get some extra external HDD capacity & start imaging backups.

20. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks johjue,
    It seems from the posts in this thread that there's no simple way to set RPs automatically so will give this a try.

21. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post

There is a nice little script where you can set the frequency for restore points.

'SP_SRP_Freq.vbs - A utility to change the frequency WinXP System Restore
    'creates Restore Points. FOR WINDOWS XP ONLY!
    '© Bill James - created 31 Dec 2001

Option Explicit : Dim cFreq, pFreq, msg

cFreq = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:SystemRestore Config='SR'").RPGlobalInterval / 60 / 60

If cFreq = 24 Then

msg = "Your System Restore Point creation interval is set to the default value of 24 hours."
    Else
    msg = "The default System Restore Point creation interval is 24 hours. Your computer is set to create a System Restore Point every " & cFreq & " hours."
    End If
    msg = msg & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & "If you want to change the frequency, enter the number of HOURS to change the frequency to:"

pFreq = InputBox(msg, "Set System Restore Point Frequency", 24)

If pFreq <> "" Then

If CInt(pFreq) <> cFreq Then
    With GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonat e}!root/default:SystemRestoreConfig='SR'")
    .RPGlobalInterval = pFreq * 60 * 60 : .Put_
    End With
    End If
    End If

Just copy and paste the blue lines into a Notepad document and save with the name:
    SetRestorePointInterval.vbs

And there is also a script to force a new restore point, whenever you run it. I just put the script in my root directory and the shortcut to the script in my "Startup" folder for an automatic daily Restore Point on every boot up. Here's the script.

Set SRP=GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemres tore")
    CSRP=SRP.CreateRestorePoint("Hacked the registry", 0, 100)

Save those two lines into a NOTEPAD document with a name like:
    Set Restore Point.vbs

You may change the name of the restore point from "Hacked the registry" to whatever you like. I just left mine like that.....it sort of stands out in a crowd, so to speak. lol

System Restore is always your first line of defense if you install some program and then want to get rid of it quickly, or if something messes up your desktop. Just go back a few hours, or a day and you're right back in business.

Cheers mate!
    The Doctor

Thanks a lot for this will download & try.

Cheers