Lounger
    Thanks

Grapics driver replacement vs. MS Patch KB2393802

The moderator of the Windows Secrets Forum suggested that the Hardware Forum was the best place for me to get some advice/help determining whether I have an older version of the Intel or AMD graphics drivers that are incompatible with MS Patch KB2393802, the February kernel patch that causes the BSOD problem with certain grapics cards.

In an April 15th post to the "April showers ..." Windows Secrets thread, Susan Bradley provided the links for obtaining updated Intel and AMD drivers to resolve the issue, but I'm one step behind that.

I know I have an older graphics driver, but not whether I have one of the incompatible drivers. I'm not even sure what questions to ask or what to look for. How do I determine if I have one of the graphics drivers that will require replacement? Is there a way to check on my computer?

The list of what came with my original Dell Dimension 8300 with Windows XP Professional and Office 2003 in 2004, shows a 128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card and an Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card. My video card was replaced in 2007, and the packing slip identifies the new card as a CRD GRPHC 128MB NV34 DIM.

Any guidance about how to deal with this issue will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I do know that its time to upgrade my computer. Thanks.

Thanks
    The graphics card replacement was like for like, you still have a 128MB nVidia FX5200 fitted if the packing slip information is correct. The latest graphics drivers for that range of cards running on XP is here.

Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand this, my graphics card is the 128MB nVidia FX5200. Does this mean that I have a NVIDIA graphics driver and not either an Intel integrated graphics card or an AMD ATI HD graphics card? And, therefore, since the graphics cards that may crash after the MS KB2393802 patch is installed are Intel integrated graphics cards and AMD ATI HD graphics cards, I do not have to update my graphics driver to address the Microsoft patch issue?

Thanks
    That's my understanding of it too; you should be safe to patch, if you so wish.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. One more question. What is my Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just googled "Intel Pro ....", so I now know its a peripheral component interconnect (PCI) network interface card (NIC). Am I correct that this has nothing to do with my graphics driver/card? In laymen's terms, what is it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    A NIC is a device used to connect your computer to a network, For a home user that usually means connection to a router or modem.

Joe