Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blue Screen - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

HELP!!! My computer now has the "Blue Screen of Death" with the usual language and the following specifics:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804EDE8E)

If I reboot the computer and start it normally or in safe mode, the blue screen always comes back up and I can't get to my desktop.

I have numerous documents (Word, Excel, pdf's, etc.) I need to recover but I can't get to them.

How can I get out of the blue screen and get to my files? Please help!!!

Thank you!!!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    How to start System Restore when you can't boot into XP
    1)Restart the computer and hold F8 during the startup to bring up the options menu.
    2)Select "Safe mode with a command prompt."
    3)If you have multiple operating systems installed,select the correct instances of XP.
    4)Log on with an administrative account.
    5)At the command prompt,type; %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter.
    6)Follow the on-screen instructions.
    IF,the above doesn't work.Print this out from M$;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
    I hope this helps.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks chowur, but no matter what safe mode I select, it always comes back to the blue screen. I can't get past it to get to my desktop or documents. I have irreplacable files that cannot be duplicated. I just bought a 500 GB external hard drive. Is there a way to just get to these files long enough to copy my files to this drive so that I can transfer them to my new computer?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi tmg9671,

If you can use another computer to go online, you can download an ISO image of Puppy Linux to burn a bootable CD or USB Flash stick. You can then boot from the CD or stick to run Puppy Linux and copy all your important files from your XP hard disk. Use your external hard drive as your destination in the copy action.

Puppy Linux is very well suited to copying files from NTFS partitions and is easy to use. You may have to enter your PC BIOS setup to give your CD or USB stick boot priority. When you start your PC, look immediately for instructions to press a certain key for 'Setup' or 'BIOS'. The key may be 'F1' 'F2' or 'Del' depending on the brand of computer.

This is an easier option for file recovery than removing the XP hard drive to another PC for the copy operation.

When you get your files safely copied, and get your computer healthy, check out the Backup & Security Forum for threads on using image software to prepare your computer for problems such as this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

tmg9671 (2011-05-01)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Deadeye81. I will give it a shot and let you how it goes...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey tmg9671, I've got the same exact problem with my laptop. Did you ever find a fix for it.

Thx

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solutions to the STOP 0x0000000A "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" blue screen error in XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063