Thanks

Exclamation Windows Explorer crashing in Vista

Hey there folks,

Anyone having Explorer crashes/restarts in Vista after the last Patch Tuesday (the huge one with like 64 patches)? I am running Vista Home 64 bit on a HP Pavilion laptop that has been running smoothly since purchase in summer 2008, until this last round of patches. At least I think after the patches seem to be when the trouble occurred. This is primarily my wife's machine, and is mostly used for web surfing (mostly web games) and e-mail.

Whenever I try to do anything with Explorer including simply trying to open Explorer, or any desktop folder, or even when clicking on the Windows Update bubble in the tray, I get the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" error. It then restarts Explorer and everything seems ok, until I try to do something else that relies on Explorer. Firefox 4 and all other programs (if run from the Start menu) so far, seem to run properly.

I have scanned for viruses and malware using Avira Anti Virus and Windows Defender and nothing was found. Next step will be a system restore (which I have never been able to successfully run on any Windows machine ever), then a complete restore, which, needless to say I would rather not do. I've searched a bit around the web, and most hits point to articles several years old. I will also try other scanners like Malwarebytes, etc., but really I don't think a virus or malware is the culprit because the wife never really downloads anything.

Also, we installed IE9, finally.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM 1 TB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; HP laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 320 GB Hdd Vista 64; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Well, it seems I've figured it out. The culprit was definitely IE9. Also as I complained about in the first message, Restore didn't work: It first had me go back to 4-26-11 which seems to be right before all those updates, it went through all the motions, rebooted, and in the end, as always, gave an error message that Restore didn't work and no changes had been made. I then tried an earlier date, same results. (As an aside, I have tried this on many different computers using several different versions of Windows since the advent of System Restore, and it has never worked.)

I was able to get into Safe Mode, and from there Explorer did work, so I was able to get into Programs and Features and uninstall IE9, rebooted and voilá, all was well.

Scott
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM 1 TB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; HP laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 320 GB Hdd Vista 64; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to survivor78 For This Useful Post:

vaneyck (2011-05-07)