Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is Outlook as important today as it once was?

Hi,

I am using Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. The computers are 64-bit. Is Outlook as important a program today as it once was. I have not yet configured it, though I do get messages to do so.

Thank you.

Moon1130

Thanks
    It depends. Those that need high powered email clients at work, then yes. For the vast majority of the remainder of us, some of the non-outlook email clients have enough features to make us drool without the high power of Outlook. I do not have Outlook installed. I do not believe it is as user friendly since it is geared more toward business than personal use. I would think the vast majority would be happier with something else.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Moon,

I believe in picking the tool that does the best job for you and your budget. I'm an Outlook user and have been for years! This is not because of work because we used Lotus Notes at work. What I like about Outlook is the integration with other office products and the fact that it will sync with any smart phone on the market. I'm also not a fan of web based email clients because of their slow response times and too many clicks to get the same job done. YMMV
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Is Outlook as important a program today as it once was. I have not yet configured it, though I do get messages to do so.
    I don't know how you would determine the importance of Outlook compared with Outlook Express/Windows Mail, Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey, Eudora, Thunderbird, Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc., over time.

Are you using a version of Office that contains Outlook? I'm not sure under what circumstances you would be prompted to configure it.

Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    I do not have Outlook installed. I do not believe it is as user friendly since it is geared more toward business than personal use.
    It's true that Outlook has more features than most people need, and is designed to be controlled by IT departments, but it's not hard to use out of the box.

Like most Office applications, you may have to make a lot of settings changes to adapt it to your preferences, and these can be scattered about in a non-intuitive fashion. Compared with the limited preferences in Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail, and the old Outlook Express 6, I prefer the customizability of full Outlook.

Outlook also offers considerable extensibility and programmability (with add-ons and macros). Recent versions featuring the ribbon interface have been harder to remodel... I'm still working on it...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2K.

Hello.

>>> Recent versions featuring the ribbon interface have been harder to remodel... I'm still working on it...

He ! he ! I am on W-7/64 bit and still use Outlook 2000, does all that I need, nothing to modify. All of Office 2000 is running here and very nicely too.

Be good. Jean.

Thanks
    I have been using Outlook for many years (circa 1996). I started with Outlook Express and moved to Outlook and once I did, I was hooked. As RetiredGeek stated, the integration into other MS applications is invaluable at least to me. I tried the new (2011) of WindowsMail and uninstalled it in a matter of days. It just didn't pack the punch that I was used to and more importantly liked.... but YMMV!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it depends on where its being used and why. As an individual or SOHO user, OL has many powerful features that many people can take advantage of right out of the box. But not all of us need those features,or the cost. So for myself, at home, Thunderbird is more than adequate. And its free. I can't personally say that OL was ever important to me.

For corporate use in an MS Exchange e-mail environment, OL is indispensable. And with MS Office and smart phone integration, is more important than ever before. That's not to say that its a necessity, but it is very desirable to have. We use Novell GroupWise where I work. Its pretty decent but doesn't hold a candle to the combo of Exchange and Outlook.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All the products that produced it has its pros and cons of each and I always use it according to my ability.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I am fan of Outlook. I have used it on my PCs since I can remember. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything else. On a work PC a few years ago, I had to use Thunderbird and missed Outlook a lot. I quite like the 2010 version and the ribbon interface did a lot of good for Outlook, IMHO:

Thanks
    I have been using Outlook on my home PC since 1997 (I still have the Outlook 98 CD), although a search a few months ago showed that I have few messages dating before 2000 in my PST file. I used Outlook at work, of course, too.

My XP PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now, and I plan to build a new one some time in the next year or so. The new PC will run Win 7, and it would probably be sensible to buy the latest version of Office for it. (I am using Office 2003 at present.)

But Microsoft does not want me to use Outlook any more. I can be certain of that from the pricing policy. The cheapest version of Office 2010 includes Powerpoint, which I have hardly ever used in anger and shall never use again, but does not include Outlook, which is absolutely critical to me, all day, every day.

Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook does more than email

A lot of the replies here have concentrated on Outlook as an email client, and certainly there are plenty of good alternatives.
    But Outlook also handles Tasks (ToDo lists, with reminders and ability to show how much has been completed), Journal (where you can record the time you spend on activities), Notes (Post-it style notes), Calendar (with reminders and a rich set of features for recurring appointments) and of course Contacts. Your decision may depend on whether you want to use any of these as well and whether you want them integrated.
    I use Outlook at home because I have to use it at work and I don't want to have to get used to two programs, though if it were just for email I probably wouldn't mind. But I use the Calendar, and use Google Calendar Sync to keep my home and work schedules in sync, even though I rarely visit the Google Calendar itself. I would like to sync Contacts and Notes, but since FusionOne closed down, I haven't found anything reliable.
    The Reminders are pretty important to me, and as I have Outlook open all the time, it works. I found Google Calendar will send email reminders, but they are not as flexible or reliable -- emails can get delayed, and there is no 'snooze' function!

Lounger
    Thanks

More than email

I don't use Outlook for email, just contacts and calendar, but there's one feature alone that's worth the price for me: Scheduling meetings. The invitation-and-response capability is invaluable but even better is the Scheduling Assistant. If I want to set up a meeting next Wednesday at 9:00 am for six people (all of whom are on the same Exchange server), Outlook will let me know their availability. And if there's a conflict, it will find a slot that everyone has free. It can also schedule a conference room and notify everyone of the location. If anything changes, everyone is notified immediately. It also integrates with GoToMeeting for people who can't attend in person.

As someone else said, for solo users it's good but not necessary unless you want integration with your smartphone. For SMB or enterprise users on an Exchange server, it's remarkably useful.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm also addicted to Outlook for Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Reminders. I also haven't found an alternative for Outlook that works with MailMerge.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    if you have email account that may be configured with Outlook then its for you. however with the present other application like lotus notes, thunderbird and web based email, you're given wide choice...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can have my Outlook when you pry my cold dead...wait a minute, wrong forum.

I've been using Outlook and it's precedent's for over 10 years and for me Microsoft keeps upping the ante and making it ever more indispensable. The latest in Office is the integration with One Note. If I'm taking meeting notes in One Note and I put in an item that requires action by me it's a push of a button and I have a task created in Outlook.

You asked if Outlook is as important today as it once was...Yes and even more so.

Disclaimer: I'm able to purchase Office at a fraction of retail price through my work, if I had to pay full retail I would at least consider other programs.
    "Campaigns to bear-proof all garbage containers in wild areas have been difficult because, as
    one biologist put it, `There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence levels of the
    smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.'
    Richard Wabrek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast