Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your input. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and Microsoft 2010. I get periodic messages to activate Outlook, so I turned to this forum to get some information about the worthiness of Outlook. I am happy to hear that people like it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Its heading for a major makeover with $8.5billion worth of Skype. Nevertheless, MSO is, perhaps, the best program 'ever made' by MS. All the other programs have clones :-)
    [twitter][twitter]rssra[/twitter][/twitter]

Lounger
    Thanks

Many parts of OL stop me from changing

I have used OL and its predecessor Scheduler Plus since 1994. I often look for a lighter weight alternative but I use too much of OL to find a suitable one.

I like the 2010 UI better than previous versions.

The killer bits for me are Calendar, Tasks, Rules and Categories, to show up appointments in different colours depending on their association with different activities. It also allows me to view my 800-900 contacts in categories so for instance Friends & Family, Business, suppliers and many different social groups get their own categories with many overlaps. Non of the overlaps cause duplicate entries but make it easy to find entries by association.

I also use it for mailmerge and sync calendars with my wife's via Google sync. I used to use Journals as well before I retired, brilliant for recording the time spent on different customers projects.

I could replace most of the roles OL plays with others such as Thunderbird and Sunbird but I have found nothing to replace the Categories.
    Expert help is less costly than inexpert help

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecraven View Post
    I'm also addicted to Outlook for Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Reminders. I also haven't found an alternative for Outlook that works with MailMerge.
    Indeed, you cannot do a mailmerge to email from MS Office unless Outlook is installed. It doesn't have to be in use, just installed ...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

recovering Yahoo (or other webmails) downloaded by Outlook

A-R-G-H-H! I'd forgotten why I don't use an email client to manage my Yahoo mail account, so when I read here about all the benefits of using Outlook (Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Journal, etc.), I thought I'd give it a try. Then I remembered--TOO LATE!--Outlook didn't just download COPIES of my Yahoo emails, it also had them deleted from the Yahoo server. Oh, G*d! The same thing happened to me years ago, too, when I was trying Thunderbird. I use my Yahoo email account to store all kinds of valuable information, which I retrieve from lots of different access points (home, multiple computers at work, friends' computers, public library, Internet cafe, iPod, etc.), and now it's gone, all gone, all gone (sob). Yes, I understand--NOW I understand--that Outlook has a little checkbox telling it to leave messages on the server, but it's buried very deeply in the settings, and the default is to delete everything it downloads. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that Yahoo can do something to help restore those 1,070 deleted messages. They do have a service for **trying** to recover messages deleted within the past 24 hours (the sooner you report it, the better your chances). So if anyone else is the same boat as me, try the Yahoo recovery service by going to Options or searching for the page entitled Yahoo! Mail Restore Help Form. Sorry, I can't give the URL because I think mine includes my login info. Good luck. My heart is with you. I think I'm going back to using the postal service.
    Last edited by DavidToronto; 2011-05-20 at 06:43.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It depends.

If you just want to use email, then there is no real advantage of using Outlook over other email programs.

If you are frequently mobile, or using different computers, then using webmail is possibly the best solution, but you can also use outlook with IMAP mode on one computer and webmail elsewhere for example.

If you want to use calendars and tasks and notes, and higher functions of email such as tracking, newsletters, signatures, etc, then Outlook is the best of the bunch, although at a price. Still reasonable is Thunderbird with the calendar extensions added, also Evolution for Linux users.

If it comes to needing to share contacts with other other users, share documents etc, then Outlook has no equivalent, it must be used.

Yes some companies, including my own, use or have used Google but put simple, it is simple and for basic use. If your needs are basic then use it, or the equally good, or in my view better Microsoft Live email and calendars and tasks with 25GB of Skydrive doc space as well as being able to write Office docs online. We tried Google but went back to a combination of Outlook and for some users Office Live / Windows Live due to better functions and formats and business integration.

In conclusion, if you are an individual with simple email needs then there is no real advantage of using Outlook, but it may come in useful if you ever work in a Corporate environment because you will need to develop good Outlook skills, so perhaps take the opportunity now, if appropriate for your cirmcumstances.

Good luck with your decision.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest you download the excellent and free Mailstore Home edition. Backup your emails in Outlook, then you can restore them back up to Yahoo or any other webmail service. Excellent piece of software that I regularly use just for archiving, but has so much more funtions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am thinking of getting a new smartphone from Verizon that uses 4gLTE technology and I am an Outlook user. Can I sync my over 4,000 contacts with their HTC Thunderbolt model or their Droid model? These are the only 4g models they have.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cavehomme View Post
    I suggest you download the excellent and free Mailstore Home edition. Backup your emails in Outlook, then you can restore them back up to Yahoo or any other webmail service. Excellent piece of software that I regularly use just for archiving, but has so much more funtions.
    Thanks for the interesting suggestion. It took a little time to figure out how to get MailStore working. But now (sigh), although it works for a bit, after uploading only the first 32 messages, it aborts.
    Last edited by DavidToronto; 2011-05-20 at 15:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I continue to use Outlook 2003 for the simple reason a lot of others use it: it synchronizes my contacts and appointments with my cell phone and most others. I do wish that Win7 had continued to let it read newsgroups.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Win7 Pro and MS Pro 2010. I've used Outlook almost since day 1. Being a university professor and teaching graduate research classes, advising PhD dissertations, etc., I constantly use Outlook for most all segments of my teaching. It is so quick and easy to communicate with students, exchange assignments/papers, maintain records, and file all in individual folders and sub folders that are completely organized I couldn't do without it. A folder for each student, each assignment, each graded return, all lesson plans, and records of communications, and references is indispensable. Actually, I use Outlook for personal business and basically depend on it to organize my life. When a pst file gets large and sluggish, I create a new one with the previous files ready for easy access--now on pst file #7.

This isn't the forum to ask this question, but I'll toss it out. In Word I have placed icons for hide grammar and spelling errors on the Quick Access Toolbar to keep the text uncluttered while typing. In Outlook when using Word as the editor for email, I cannot find these toolbar options anywhere--seems strange. Suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird2 View Post
    I'm using Win7 Pro and MS Pro 2010. I've used Outlook almost since day 1. Being a university professor and teaching graduate research classes, advising PhD dissertations, etc., I constantly use Outlook for most all segments of my teaching. It is so quick and easy to communicate with students, exchange assignments/papers, maintain records, and file all in individual folders and sub folders that are completely organized I couldn't do without it. A folder for each student, each assignment, each graded return, all lesson plans, and records of communications, and references is indispensable. Actually, I use Outlook for personal business and basically depend on it to organize my life. When a pst file gets large and sluggish, I create a new one with the previous files ready for easy access--now on pst file #7.

This isn't the forum to ask this question, but I'll toss it out. In Word I have placed icons for hide grammar and spelling errors on the Quick Access Toolbar to keep the text uncluttered while typing. In Outlook when using Word as the editor for email, I cannot find these toolbar options anywhere--seems strange. Suggestions?
    With an email message open go to File | Options | Mail (left pane) | Editor Options (button at top on right) | Quick Access Toolbar.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Hi,

I am using Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. The computers are 64-bit. Is Outlook as important a program today as it once was. I have not yet configured it, though I do get messages to do so.

Thank you.

Moon1130
    Outlook and any software package is only as important as you make it.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think something like Thunderbird is plenty for home use. It took me quite a while, but I finally talked my wife into discarding Outlook!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phillywill View Post
    I think something like Thunderbird is plenty for home use. It took me quite a while, but I finally talked my wife into discarding Outlook!
    That is really a matter of personal preference. I have used Thunderbird in a PC for which I didn't have an Outlook license and I simply prefer Outlook, no matter what the use you make of it. Once you are used to a decent app, taking anything less is always hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12