New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer limits objects displayed to 125

Hi all

I've come across a quirky behavior in Windows Explorer. When I look at a particular folder over the network (from XP to Windows 7) I only see 125 objects (folders and files) even though there are 156 of them in the folder. The folder I'm looking for does not show up at all. Two other (Vista) computers see all of the folders and files just fine. If I rename it (from the Windows 7 machine) to something lower in the alphabet, I can see it, but another object falls off the list. If I add a new folder or file that is aphabetically later than what is already displayed, it does not show up on the XP box.

Extensive searching for solutions in various places offers no useful clues.
    Maybe someone here has seen this misbehavior and has a clue what is happening?

Or am I destined to re-install Windows XP?

Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Donnyg, welcome to the Lounge. It always nice to see new posters.

That does not seem to be a quirky behavior, but more of a failure. I can access other PC's on my network and see all folders and all items in a folder, i.e. when I look at my wife's PC from my PC (both using Win 7) I can look at her windows/system 32 folder and see all 2500+ folders and files. I do not at present have an XP PC to verify this with, but suspect the same would happen.

If I had the problem I would be more inclined to install Win7 on the first PC rather than go back to XP on the second PC. Win 7 is much more secure, and I believe much more user friendly. I will never go back to XP. All aspects of Win 7 seem more refined than XP. I was a diehard XP user both at work and home, that is until I started using Win 7. No thanks keep it.

If you really need XP, dual boot it with Win 7 until you get to a point you don't need XP any more. Just my 2 cents.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Donnyg,

I just tried this on my network from the XP-SP3/Linux dual boot machine to my Windows 7 64-Bit machine. I listed a folder on the Win-7 machine that returned 347 files {pictures}.

Can you provide any other relevant data? How are your shares setup? Bitness of your Win-7 setup? Are you using a HomeGroup? Etc.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks tedshemyers. This used to work OK, so something is broken. The Win7 path did cross my mind as an option, but there is no budget right now for (most likely) new hardware and OS. I, too, like Win7 better than XP, but the users in this environment have no preference. They don't challenge any OS to that degree....word processing, internet access and a few db progs are all they care about. But I do appreciate the feedback.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RetiredGeek (me too!)
    I tested this as well on a different network and it works OK. The shares are set up pretty much wide open....everybody has full access to these data folders. I know this used to work, but I'm just not sure what could have broken it *this way*. Win7 is 64bit, XP is 32bit. Not using HomeGroup. My next attempt will probably be to run sfc and/or the re-install or repair, whatever HP calls a non-destructive re-install of Windows. BTW the troubled Windows box is about 4-5 years old, and fully patched SP3. The Win7 box is only a couple weeks new.

Thanks
    I would think the problem probably lies within the XP PC. A Google search shows various links to articles describing how to do a Repair Install of Win XP. The repair install will hopefully fix the system files without touching the installed apps and data. I know this works well in Win 7 but have no direct experience with XP. You may then have to install some updates that are wiped out during the repair, but again that should not be a big problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy