New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 shuts down for updates without permission

i have it set to auto update, which is fine, but so long as it asks first, which it does, so like for example i'm watching a movie and it asks to shutdown for some updates because it's it's regularly scheduled time to do so, and i say no but to delay, or 'postpone' or something to that effect for an hour, which i'm thinking means it would do the obviously polite thing and ask me again in an hour, but no, an hour later it just shuts my comp off while i'm watching a movie and i was about to kick it's @#$! ... so...

does anyone know how to make it behave other than turning off the option to have it run it's updates automatically at a scheduled time? thanks in advance!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not choose from the drop down list in update settings, ' check for updates but let me choose when to download and install them' or something like that. You can also choose to download them but let you choose when to install

Quote Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
    i have it set to auto update, which is fine, but so long as it asks first, which it does, so like for example I'm watching a movie and it asks to shut-down for some updates because it's it's regularly scheduled time to do so, and I say no but to delay, or 'postpone' or something to that effect for an hour, which I'm thinking means it would do the obviously polite thing and ask me again in an hour, but no, an hour later it just shuts my comp off while i'm watching a movie and I was about to kick it's @#$! ... so...

does anyone know how to make it behave other than turning off the option to have it run it's updates automatically at a scheduled time? thanks in advance!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You need to be checking your system more often if you do not want this to happen.

Also if you NEVER shut down or restart and just use the "Sleep" or "Hibernation" then the updates do NOT get finished, and you really do need to a restart and not just a Wake up thing.

Remember that the 3rd Tues of each month Microsoft updates are posted, with a few once in a while when needed on other dates.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Why not choose from the drop down list in update settings, ' check for updates but let me choose when to download and install them' or something like that. You can also choose to download them but let you choose when to install
    already did that. windows will still shut down comp after you tell it to remind you later(an hour or whatever you choose)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts