5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Water hammer in sound card

I have a sound problem that has me worried, and drives me crazy if I turn the speakers on.
    At present the (desktop) computer runs normally, but if I plug the speakers in it sounds as if someone were banging with a hammer at just about the same frequency as if one were driving a nail. I can play music, but the banging will continue throughout it at a volume sufficient to compete with the music.

If I plug the same set of speakers into another computer, they work perfectly, so the speakers are fine. I installed the latest driver and it was apparently successful, but I still have the banging. I canít hear any unusual mechanical noises in the computer housing. I have since had two BSODs, so it seems something is wrong, but this post is being composed in Word on the machine and will be uploaded from it.

Can anyone suggest a likely suspect or a troubleshooting procedure?

Thanks
    What type of sound card do you have?
    Were exactly are you plugging the speekers into?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    What type of sound card do you have?
    Were exactly are you plugging the speekers into?
    The source of the sound is System Sounds, because every time I change the scheme it gives me a different sound but with the same frequency. It is irregular, but roughly the frequency with which you might hammer a nail.

I have Realtek High Definition Audio, and I have the Realtek HD Audio Manager installed, which has more settings and wacky sound effects than I am likely to learn to use in less than a month. The source of the problem is likely to be in my software settings for all of that outlandish complexity. I can actually see the sound displayed on-screen as it is fed to the speakers. The sound jack is the back panel digital.

The big catch is that my setup worked perfectly prior to this. I may have inadvertently installed the elaborate Audio Manager or the driver without knowing or remembering it. On the other hand, random noises from System Sounds means that something is triggering the system to make sounds. Ouch.

Thanks
    Uninstall and remove all traces of the Realtek driver and sound manager software. Reinstall the version of either software manager or driver
    that had previously worked. I would also perform a mild registry clean up after removal of the above items.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Uninstall and remove all traces of the Realtek driver and sound manager software. Reinstall the version of either software manager or driver
    that had previously worked. I would also perform a mild registry clean up after removal of the above items.
    Spot on. Thanks to your suggestion, the problem is cured. I used Revo Uninstall Pro to remove it (which tends to take care of the registry clean up as part of the deal) and then it appeared that good old plug and play, in a sort of a way, did the rest. In other words, Windows went looking for whatever was needed for the devices to work, which took a couple of minutes, and that got it back to where it had previously been. Thank you very much for the help.