Lounger
    Thanks

RoboForm logins since IE 9

Previously, when visiting a web site requiring a password, RoboForm 6 would pop up a small window offering to fill in name & password. Since IE 9 (32 bit), the window appears very briefly then is gone before I can use it.
    I have looked at Add On Manager and RoboForm entries are enabled. Other features seem OK. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    It seems I read in another thread that an update to Roboform 6 was necessary. I can not find the thread presently. In looking at the RoboForm site a version 7 is available.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted, but because of the way that Siber “marketed” the higher priced upgrade to Ver 7, I have been reluctant to sign on for now. (I had been using the paid Pro version).

Thanks
    You might want to consider the free edition of LastPass. I use this with Win 7 and IE9 and it is very good. Has gotten good reviews in these forums.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Try configuring Roboform so it shows in your context menu [ie right-click menu]--maybe it already does. R-click in a website form field which needs filling, click "fill forms", and see if it works.

That's the way I've always used Roboform, rather than any more automated config like you have. Currently have version 7 working with Win7 and IE9.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is my understanding that RF versions older than 7 will not work with IE9 or FF 4 and that Roboform version 7 also works with Google Chrome which the older versions did not. I am in the same boat with version 6. It is also why I don't plan to update to the latest browser versions until I have to.

I have considered some of the other password programs but I am concerned about the security of keeping my passwords on some company's server. I only want those on my own computer.

RF has been a good program and I will pay for the upgrade when I have to.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgc50 View Post
    I have considered some of the other password programs but I am concerned about the security of keeping my passwords on some company's server. I only want those on my own computer.
    I had misgiving about Roboform 7 because of their new pricing / subscriptions structue.
    I have been using LastPass and been mostly happy. It does seem a little quirky (technical term meaning: I don't understand why the notification bar is sometimes missing).

They had an intrusion on their servers yesterday and notified their users that they should change their master password that is used to encrypt the stored passwords.
    Today, as everyone tries to re-encrypt their saved passwords, their servers became unavailable because of the high load.

There are a few lessons here:
    1. use a long & safe master password.
    2. It is hard to depend on a 3rd party storage of your passwords.
    3. Roboform 7 has an option to save your encrypted passwords to their servers. Same potential problems.
    4. I can still access the local copies of my passwords in LastPass today. But, I can't store new passwords.
    5. I suspect that they will be back on line tomorrow and will soon have more robust protection for their servers.
    6. The good reason for storing your password libraries (encrypted) in the cloud is when you have a desktop + laptop + smart phone and want passwords to sync automatically. Note: LastPass for PCs is free. LastPass for smart phones adds $12 / year. If they get their act back together, I will probably upgrade for the paid smart phone version.
    Last edited by RichardMW; 2011-05-05 at 15:43.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that I would not use Roboform's online storage either. I understand the reasons for using them across devices, however, the risk is more than I am willing to take. I have wondered how the security issue seems to be so easily ignored. It seems that folks have successfully hacked into secure government websites and business websites so what is safe?

It is amazing to me that I haven't heard of financial accounts being wiped out this way. Perhaps they have and they take care of the customer. I often wonder if we will reach a point where people lose faith in the security of the internet to the point where business use substantially suffers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Mike Feury;800454]Try configuring Roboform so it shows in your context menu [ie right-click menu]--maybe it already does. R-click in a website form field which needs filling, click "fill forms", and see if it works.

Thanks Mike. Your suggestion does work, adding an extra click or two.
    RE some other comments, no way would I store my passwords in the cloud. Although this seems like a good solution for multiple devices, how can I trust a medium that gets hacked day after day?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    LastPass compromised?
    http://blog.lastpass.com/2011/05/las...ification.html

Trusting an online source leaves you without control of your data, and my passwords are too important to trust to someone else.

cheers, Paul