Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recent Win7 update; now slow shutdown & boot

The Windows 7 update last week doesn't seem to have taken on my computer. Every time I shut down now, Windows tells me it's installing updates, and every time I start up, it tells me that it's configuring Windows, which takes about 10 minutes (no exaggeration). I've read about problems with various Windows updates, but until now I've sailed through them all without a problem. I don't know if anyone has a fix for this, but I'm posting this message at least as some sort of alert for other users.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What update(s) is/are causing the problem?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What update(s) is/are causing the problem?
    Joe
    Good question. It sent me to check my updates history in Control Panel, where I see that the last successful update was KB 2522422 dated April 27 (5 days ago). Since then there has been a string of failed updates as Windows has tried each day upon shutdown to complete three of the updates (see listing below). Beyond these three there are several others waiting, but apparently my system doesn't get past these three failed ones. When I follow the links, I see info on what the updates are supposed to accomplish, but I can't see how my problem can be helped.

Update for Windows 7 (KB982018)
    Installation date: ‎27/‎04/‎2011 10:50 AM
    Installation status: Failed
    Error details: Code 800705B4
    Update type: Recommended
    This is a reliability update. This update resolves some performance and reliability issues in Windows. By applying this update, you can achieve better performance and responsiveness in various scenarios. For more information please see the Knowledge Base article. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018

Update for Windows 7 (KB2506928)
    Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2506928

Update for Windows 7 (KB2492386)
    Install this update to resolve a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2492386

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try re-booting the PC. Do not start any other programs after booting. When you are notified again of updates being available, shut down your A/V before starting the install. Then start the installation process.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved! Oddly enough, the computer of a friend's daughter has been having exactly the same problem, exactly the same three update files failing to install. By poking around a little more, I found that the following has worked for me.

Go to Control Panel
    Use the search box at the top right to search for "updates".
    In the resulting window, under Windows updates, click on the link for "Check for updates".
    In the resulting window, click on the link for "View update history" - It's a little hard to find, to the right of "Updates were installed:"
    This opens a window entitled Review your update history where you can see a list of all your updates, both successes and failures.
    Click on "Troubleshoot problems with installing updates".
    That solved it for me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David:
    Thanks for posting what worked for you. It'll probably help someone down the line.
    Dick

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Addendum --
    There's a correction to make here. I thought everything was hunky-dory because after clicking on "Troubleshoot problems with installing updates" I shut down and no updates were installed, and when I re-started Windows didn't go through that slow configuration routine. However, later when I did another shutdown, the old [problem returned, The updates had not worked, and I was back where I started.

Now I think I'm OK, having checked twice to see that things are right. So the solution is --

Go to Control Panel
    Use the search box at the top right to search for "updates".
    In the resulting window, under Windows updates, click on the link for "Check for updates".
    Click on the box labeled "Install updates."

Sounds obvious, huh? I took a wrong turn, trying to troubleshoot rather than install, thinking that the because the installations had failed so many times, there was no point in telling Windows to do an install. But it turns out that installing from the Control Panel, instead of from the shutdown process, is what worked. No need to troubleshoot. Sheesh.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The Recent Windows 7 update made my PC reboot after the first attemp

I had no problem with my Win7 system after the update. Yet the silly thing did something that I haven't seen in a long time. After I get the splash screen telling me "Please wait while Windows being configured" the system reboots and does it again. I've seen no apparent problems after that but I'd call it weird. Win7 updates have been generally problem free with a few exceptions such as Silverlight which never installed properly in the first place and seems therefore to always fail in updating itself.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Latest Win 7 updates

I had the same problem with my Netbook and PC. It would install the updates on shutdown and attempt to configure them on power-up. But after about 10 mins and staying at 0%, it would revert back to the previous configuration. It took 3 tries on my Netbook before it finally installed all of them. But on my PC, it never took. I then went into the check update screen and there were 5 updates. I decided to install each update individually and it worked.
    Never had this problem before. Any idea why this happened?

Greg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gvosburgh View Post
    I had the same problem with my Netbook and PC. It would install the updates on shutdown and attempt to configure them on power-up. But after about 10 mins and staying at 0%, it would revert back to the previous configuration. It took 3 tries on my Netbook before it finally installed all of them. But on my PC, it never took. I then went into the check update screen and there were 5 updates. I decided to install each update individually and it worked.
    Never had this problem before. Any idea why this happened?

Greg
    It hard to find a cause while the issue if happening and is very difficult to track down reasons after the problem disappears. Each PC setup, hardware and software, can be slightly to significantly different than others. These basic differences can be a reason. The way you have configured security could cause a problem. What you had done since you booted the system until the time you tried to install the updates could contribute. If for some reason Windows Update decided to apply the fixes in a different order on your PC that could cause an issue. Etc., etc., etc.

BTW, in the futue please start your own thread. It quickly becomes confusing when people reply to similar questions in the same thread.

Joe