New Lounger
    Thanks

Question What is the Difference in Media Edition vs all others?

I posted my first question just a bit ago, and thought of a second question that I have never been able to fine the answer for... I have a 3 or 4 year old Gateway Desktop system that has been a real solid work horse until my recent problem with a download freezing me up [different post].
    My newby or dumb question is: What is the major difference in XP Media edition vs Home or Professional, or others I may not be aware of. I bought without really paying any attention to what type it was. It has done most everything I have desired, no complaints, but just what is/are the benefit(s) of the Media Edition.
    Thanks for the any information. Tigerbeetle

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The short answer is that Media Center edition has enhancements for doing Tivo like recording of cable or satellite TV programing. I had it on my old Dell Inspiron 6000 and turned the services off because I had no use for them. But I know people who have made use of Media Center and liked it a lot. As much as I dislike Wikipedia, there is a nice layout of all versions and general features of XP found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions
    Chuck

Thanks
    Media Center edition also has more in common with XP Pro than it does with XP Home. Media Center Edition has the same security as XP Pro, and you can utilize 'Standard Networking" which includes network share permissions as well as NTFS security permissions. XP Home will only allow 'Simple networking", which does not allow one to set share permissions or NTFS security permissions.