Thanks

Sectional Headers in Word 2010

I cannot for the life of me get different headers. Using the instructions below, I set up the sections, put in the first header, then, when I put in the second one (and I had deselected "Link to previous) it brings over the one from the prior section.

What the heck (&*&^%*(^%) am I doing wrong here?

Chuck

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aiav.html

1. Insert section breaks; see In Microsoft Word, what are sections?
    2. Click anywhere in the section of your document for which you want to create a different header or footer.
    3. In Word 2010 and 2007, select the Insert tab, and then select either Header or Footer. Then, select Edit Header or Edit Footer. In earlier versions of Word, from the View menu, selectHeader and Footer.
    4. If necessary, move to the header or footer you want to change.
    5. On the Header and Footer toolbar, deselect Link to Previous. (You can hover over each icon to see its name.)
    6. Change the existing header or footer, or create a new one for this section.

Word automatically makes the same changes to the headers or footers for all subsequent sections. To create a different header or footer for a subsequent section, repeat the steps above.This information comes from Microsoft Help and Support article 172180.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    The ribbon control can be a little confusing, so keep an eye out for the prompts. If you click Link to Previous and nothing happens, then you are turning it off and making the current section independent of the previous one. If you click it and you get an prompt that you are deleting the header, then you are turning Link to Previous back on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    The ribbon control can be a little confusing, so keep an eye out for the prompts. If you click Link to Previous and nothing happens, then you are turning it off and making the current section independent of the previous one. If you click it and you get an prompt that you are deleting the header, then you are turning Link to Previous back on.
    But on the ribbon, it "colors" when "Link to Previous" is turned on, doesn't it?
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Are you saying that you had already created section 2, and had already turned off Link to Previous in the header of section 2, but then when you added content to the header in section 1, it appeared in section 2 as well? - if so, that's not the expected behavior. Is it possible for you to post a sample document with this problem, that we can take a look at?

Gary