I cannot for the life of me get different headers. Using the instructions below, I set up the sections, put in the first header, then, when I put in the second one (and I had deselected "Link to previous) it brings over the one from the prior section.
What the heck (&*&^%*(^%) am I doing wrong here?
- Insert section breaks; see In Microsoft Word, what are sections?
- Click anywhere in the section of your document for which you want to create a different header or footer.
- In Word 2010 and 2007, select the Insert tab, and then select either Header or Footer. Then, select Edit Header or Edit Footer. In earlier versions of Word, from the View menu, selectHeader and Footer.
- If necessary, move to the header or footer you want to change.
- On the Header and Footer toolbar, deselect Link to Previous. (You can hover over each icon to see its name.)
- Change the existing header or footer, or create a new one for this section.
Word automatically makes the same changes to the headers or footers for all subsequent sections. To create a different header or footer for a subsequent section, repeat the steps above.This information comes from Microsoft Help and Support article 172180.