Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't disable internet connection

Dear members,
    How can I find out what is preventing me from disabling the internet connection of my XP DESKTOP?

When I clicked on the disable button, I got this message:
    “It is not possible to disconnect the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug& play or it may have been initiated by another user or system account.”

I am the only user of this PC. Comparing this desktop with my 2 laptops, programs installed are largely the same except that the desktop has an
    * Device to scan documents/pictures into my PC. [USB scanner]
    * An on demand speech program to read scanned documents to me.

I suspect the USB SCANNER is the culprit because after the log-on screen, the SCANNER icon pops up and if it is plugged into electricity supply, it said, “SCANNER – ONLINE”. If not plugged in, it said, “SCANNER - OFFLINE”. Don’t know how to disable the scanner from loading.

Other programs that came with the scanner are:
    - Ulead photo express [Corel]
    - Fine reader [OCR program I think]

Maybe there are other reasons that I don’t know of.
    Had used 6 antivirus/antispyware programs both within my PC & online to check & obtained ‘CLEAN’ results.

SO HOW TO CHECK WHAT IS PREVENTING INTERNET CONNECTION FROM BEING DISABLED?

Thank you
    Spec

Thanks
    One thing you could do is see what apps are starting and running with Windows. Check out What's In Startup (scroll down a ways to find the download link) as an excellent app for this. You can disable or delete any apps from running that you do not need running in the background. A side affect is that your system may run faster without un-needed apps running all the time. I have found that most apps do NOT need to auto start. Just click on their start up icons when you need them.

If indeed an app running in the background is causing your problem, this will help you disable or delete them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dark spec View Post

SO HOW TO CHECK WHAT IS PREVENTING INTERNET CONNECTION FROM BEING DISABLED?
    spec,
    Hello...a good place to start would be your "Access Manager", tools and options .Have a look at your settings . I have "Verizon" ...you didn't mention what you are using. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How do you connect to the internet and with what provider?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    I am using wireless connection for all my computers to a fiber optic broadband of my internet service provider. What is "Verizon"?

What is the path to “Access Manager”? I typed in RUN edit box for “Access Manager” and it did not know what it was.
    Am I supposed to check under tools and options of Access Manager? What am I suppose to look for?

Sorry I cannot find any sighted person who can read English to look at the images you posted. I am blind and my screenreader cannot read images…

I had been disabling some items at startup one at a time and restarting PC to find the culprit. No luck yet.
    Don’t dare to disable this: “ctfmon command” as it was under system 32. Not sure what it does.

[can disable my laptops, but not desktop only]

Thank you
    Spec

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    spec,
    Hello..Verizon is my internet service provider.. On my desk top screen, the access manager shows a small panel to allow me to connect to the internet. It has several tabs to configure how and when you connect . One of the "tabs" is "tools" and the i select "preferences" There are options to "automatically connect", "NDIS mode" (Network Driver Interface Spec, Which provides an always on condition), run at start-up etc. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-04 at 05:28.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    oh , i see. i only use the wireless to access the internet. the broadband does not belong to me. if it does, then it is easy- i could just pull the plug and disconnect.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    spec,
    Hello.. yes i too have a wireless connection "Verizon Wireless Broadband Access" The small "Desktop" panel,screen or whatever you want to call it , is how i connect to the internet,... and configure how it's managed. It would seem that yours is configured to connect automatically upon booting and have the "NDIS" mode active.Regards Fred

PS: This would allow some "background" (MS data transfer) stuff to run even when your not doing anything, and be connected to the internet .
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-04 at 09:05.
    PlainFred