New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 fails to find anything in Windws Secrets Newsletter e-mail

This is a long standing problem for me but seems not to have been addressed in the Lounge before..

I have all of the Windows Secrets newsletter e-mails (in full beauty) stored in a folder under Microsoft Outlook 2003. If I the try to search for anything in them within Outlook, I find exactly nothing, except in copies of forwarded newsletter messages. All of my stored messages have their contained images downloaded. The forwarded copies mostly do not, but even if they do, the search works on them. I have checked a few other newsletter collections from other sources, and for those searching works fine. What is going on?

Cheers, Jochen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jochen,

Do you have the Windows Indexing service turned on?

I tried a search Using Win 7-64Bit Outlook 2003 32-Bit and it worked fine {see below}. I like you have all the newsletters going back to when it was called Brian's Buzz, thus the folder name.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Jochen,

Do you have the Windows Indexing service turned on?

I tried a search Using Win 7-64Bit Outlook 2003 32-Bit and it worked fine {see below}. I like you have all the newsletters going back to when it was called Brian's Buzz, thus the folder name.
    No, I don't, and I think I shouldn't. I'd also be surprised if an external indexing service would index the contents of the mail repository (Outlook.pst) recognizing the mail file structure and indexing by message. Are you implying that you have seen it make a difference?

I have looked more closely at the problem and found this:

1. For the Windows Secrets Newsletter e-mails, I can successfully find all messages containing "Windows Secrets Newsletter" but not, e.g., "Patch Watch" or anything else that is further town from the header line in the mail message.

2. In one of my other mail folders containing newsletters, the search behavior changed by the middle of 2010 - success before, failure like with Windows Secrets thereafter. There is no obvious change in the newsletter format but behind the scenes there may well be.

Part of the problem may thus be that I am using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP SP3 system and not Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 SP1 or whatever the newest combination is. My Windows Secrets collection goes not quite four years back, to September of 2007. At that time, Windows 2007 was just barely out, so formatting e-mail such that a version n-1 (just barely out of being version n) of a leading e-mail client program cannot handle it properly does not reflect well on the originators of the mail formatting tools.

Cheers, Jochen