New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple profiles in Outlook 2000 (Outlook 2000)

I've recently been coerced into using 2 separate profiles, selected manually when starting Outlook, each of which connects the client to a different Exchange Server. I've got two questions:

1. I've lost my (previous) custom Outlook toolbar... and, upon recreating it in one profile, it can't be seen in the other... *and* (adding insult to injury) the custom toolbar seems to get lost after switching back and forth between profiles (ie, exit Outlook and restart attaching to the other profile), so I keep ending up back at the "standard" (useless) toolbar. Question is, where are custom toolbar definitions stored? How can I make the same custom toolbar available (stick) to both profiles and not get reset to "standard"? (and, why does MS make this so difficult and/or buggy?)

2. Although I know I can ask my Exchange Server admin-guys set my Exchange mail account to forward mail from one server to the other, this means asking "mother may I?"... Question: Is there a feature in Outlook which lets *me* control mail-forwarding as a client-side thing? I've thought of maybe setting a Rule, but is there anything better? ... If a Rule is the best answer, any hints or prototypes available?

TIA.

Thanks

Re: Multiple profiles in Outlook 2000 (Outlook 2000)

On my system, the custom settings appear to be in files that have the same names as the profiles and two specific extensions. You might back up what you have, then try copying and renaming so that all your profiles have the identical information. If it fails spetacularly, go back to the backups:

Windows2000:
    Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftOutlook<profilename>.FAV
    Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftOutlook<profilename>.RWZ

.FAV includes at least the Outlook Bar (to the left) and .RWZ contains your Rules Wizard rules.

In Windows 98, this probably would be more like:
    c:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook1033<profilename>.FAV
    etc., but I haven't gone checking...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This subject merges into a grey fog for me, but what I've gathered is that there is a standard set of files that can be moved between PCs or renamed in order to duplicate settings. I think Jscher's on the right track, so here's some more info. But note his comments about file locations for different OSs.

Shortcuts = <profilename>.fav
    Menu and Toolbar = Outcmd.dat
    Rules = <profilename>.rwz
    Nicknames = <profilename>.nick
    Signatures = *.rtf, *.htm (or html), *.txt files in C:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook...
    Archive = archove.pst (probably)
    Offline Store = *.ost probably in C:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook...
    Custom Categories: Export from registry at HKEY_Current_UserSoftwareMicrosoftOffice<version>O utlookCategoriesMasterList (at your own risk!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses... both were helpful. I'm on NTv4, so the path to the relevant customization files is WINNTProfiles<user>Application DataMicrosoftOutlook ... a *different* place on *every* Windoze variant, eh? MS certainly works hard to make this actively user UNfriendly, don't they?!

Observing the "behavior" of these *.FAV, *.RWZ and OUTCMD.DAT files as I (re)start Outlook over and over alternating between two profiles shows that:

a) the *.FAV and *.RWZ files can be copied and renamed to replicate one profile's settings to another without too much trauma, *unless* you happen to click (in Outlook) on the "Outlook Today" icon, which tends to reset *everything* to "default settings" without any warning or recovery! Thanks, MS, for yet another "user friendly feature".

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] OUTCMD.DAT is *rewritten* each time that Outlook exits... whether there are actually any customized changes to the toolbar or not! And sometimes (I've not figured out the exact mechanism), the *custom* (a new toolbar with a user-defined name, not "Standard" etc) toobar will be *forgotten* (lost), resetting things to "Standard" (plain vanilla)... again, no warning, no recovery, just MS Outlook doing what it damn well pleases. To safeguard this, I've made a separate backup "copy of OUTCMD.DAT" which can be copied/restored whenever Outlook "helpfully resets" my user customizations.

Apparently, MS continues it's arrogant philosophy of "the user's too stupid to know what he wants... we'll give 'em 'customization' features, but we'll not really let them use or rely on these...".

For what it's worth... YMMV ;-)