Thanks

New Video Card from the NVIDIA 8400 GS

What's a decent upgrade from this card without breaking the bank?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Chuck,

I recently purchased an EVGA GeForce 9500GT w/1GB DDR2 for $67.67 from Tiger Direct w/$15.00 rebate. I've been very happy with it. It replaced a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT w/256Mb w/a malfunctioning 2nd monitor port. I've been very happy with new card. As a side my windows experience index went down a whole number 5.9 to 4.9 but I haven't noticed any difference in performance. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    A good place to start looking - Tom's Hardaware - Graphics cards.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    What's a decent upgrade from this card without breaking the bank?
    Chuck,
    Hello... Having been burned once by a video card update (ENGT 240) I would definitely do a search for possible problems before purchasing anything ...Just type in a search the number of the card (your considering purchasing) and the word problems.... Good luck Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Ok, thanks guys for the assist.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Chuck, what do you plan to use the card for? If you have specific games in mind, or other purposes, that could help us make a good recommendation. For example with your current card, with an 8400GS and the right drivers, 1080P home theater should be no sweat for that card... But gaming isn't going to be stellar.

Do you have a more firm guideline on price?

If you really want to pinch pennies, this card would get you into AMD's latest generation of cards (Radeon 6000 series) at the ground floor for well under $75:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-584-_-Product

A good rule of thumb with computer hardware is that the bottom end of the product lineup will get you the best price... however in that range, typically spending a little extra will net you a lot more performance. In most tests, you'll find a card that is $75-100 will crush the less expensive entry level card in the same product lineup. Having familiarity with the product lineups from Nvidia and AMD helps.

If you wanted something a lot more powerful, but still wanted to get away with it for around $100 out of pocket, I'd go with a Radeon 6750.

Disclaimer: I'm kinda a hardware nut...
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; 2011-05-04 at 19:03.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Thanks
    Matt, I don't do anything special graphics-wise. I was (kinda) OK with the 8400GS, since I don't know squat about video cards. Then it occurred to me that maybe I'd get better overall performance with a betther card. Then, in the meantime...

I was just doing typical posting to the net, email and whatever one day, and it seemed that my colors had lost a little bit of their brightness, so I went to take a look at the settings. Since I had installed Win-7 a few times prior, I wasn't too worried. Then, seemingly for no reason (I must have done something, I know my colors all went bezerk -- greens on blacks and purp[les on oranges...

I resored a prior image, and all seemed OK at that point, so I fogot about it. But then a couple of days ago, I noticed that in the color settings I had it set fro white letters on a red backbround for the "Selected Items" element in the Advanced settings, but what I was getting was black on red.

So I gigured maybe the card is going screwy on me, and it was time to go shopping -- the card is about 4-5 years old I think.

I just figured that if fro $100 or less I could add some horsepower, that would be great.

Hopefully as well, I would be able to find out what the heck caused the color shift -- and yet, I've gone backi and installed Win-7 from scratch, and then the card drivers, and then set the colors, and then it does the same thing. So it [theoretically] isn't the software. I thought, maybe the [Samsung 226BW] monitor, but that seems unlikely for one color to shift like that -- and only on that one item. Whte seem fine everywhere else.

So I thought I'd try the d--- card and see if that would fix it.

Oh my ....

Chuck

Thanks
    That color problem sounds like its possibly a hardware issue with the old card. Color corruption can be a few things - loose connection to the display cable, failing graphics card, or a monitor problem.

As for performance, if you are mostly only net cruising a stronger or newer card will not help you much. A video card will only help tasks like HD video and gaming/3d rendering (some specialized programs also use the video card to accelerate other things, but you aren't doing that sort of stuff). For youtube, websites, flash videos, and web based games it is your processor doing all the work, and even the 8400GS you have won't break a sweat with that sort of workload.

So if you want to do an upgrade, and see if it fixes your problem that may not be a bad idea - you've gotten your moneys worth out of that old card. I think the Radeon 6450 would suit your needs well.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    That color problem sounds like its possibly a hardware issue with the old card. Color corruption can be a few things - loose connection to the display cable, failing graphics card, or a monitor problem.

As for performance, if you are mostly only net cruising a stronger or newer card will not help you much. A video card will only help tasks like HD video and gaming/3d rendering (some specialized programs also use the video card to accelerate other things, but you aren't doing that sort of stuff). For youtube, websites, flash videos, and web based games it is your processor doing all the work, and even the 8400GS you have won't break a sweat with that sort of workload.

So if you want to do an upgrade, and see if it fixes your problem that may not be a bad idea - you've gotten your moneys worth out of that old card. I think the Radeon 6450 would suit your needs well.
    Good ideas...thanks Matt.

Regards,
    Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck,
    Hello...Sorry late to respond ... My mind seems to work on its own schedule.. However if you have a "NVIDIA" control panel ... check out the color settings, Regards fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)