Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to rename flash drive

My old XP system decided to rename one of my flash drives Roboform2Go (this was in addition to the real Roboform2Go flash drive in use on the system). I tried to rename the drive but the system continued to call the drive Roboform2Go.

I lived with the problem for a while, but when I installed a new Windows 7 desktop, I hoped the problem would go away. It didn't (maybe because I used EasyTransfer to port my files and settings from the XP system to the Win 7 system).

At that point I removed the real Roboform2Go flash drive, and (for other reasons) stopped using Roboform2Go. I then used jv16powertools to clean out every file and folder with Roboform in the name. Once the files and folders were gone, I was able to rename the drive. But after installing some updates, I rebooted, and there was the Roboform2Go name again.

According to jc16powertools, there is no Roboform or Roboform2Go in my registry, nor is there a file with Roboform or Roboform2Go in the name. I'm not using Roboform or Roboform2Go at all on the Windows 7 system. But I the flash drive is still named Roboform2Go, and I can't rename it.

Please, anybody, any ideas?
    Last edited by Compulsive Editor; 2011-05-04 at 22:25.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem was in an .ini file (on the flash drive) that referenced RF2Go. I deleted the file and was able to rename the flash drive. So at least one thing went right today.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting, your reply may aide another with a similar issue.

Lounger
    Thanks

Wasn't an .ini file, I think it was .inf

The file is gone now, so I can't be sure what the extension was, but it was one of the text files that Windows uses to control things.

The experience has added one more technique to my limited troubleshooting skills: open those files and look for clues there.

I'm delighted if this helps anyone else!