New Lounger
    Thanks

Unusual activity reported on bandwidth

Received an email from our hosting company warning that we were approaching the limits of our bandwidth (read: data transfer) for the month. We are authorized 50gb and on the 26th of April, we had transfers of about 90gb. The file in question is: /lhflash-show0.fly, which I assume has to do with the photo array displayed on the home page. Customer service at the hosting company couldn't help except to say I should simply remove the 90gb, change our password for access and continue to operate. Changed the password, but there was no unusual size to the file or to any other files. Any ideas of what happened? I feel like Sony or a Wikileaks denial of service victim.

Thanks
    Are you saying that no one should be able to access that specific file without a password? Hmmm...

Do you have access to web server logs? If so, they probably would show whether your file was "hotlinked" from another site, for example, embedded into someone's blog post. You would see a substantial number of identical referring sites (HTTP_REFERER) for that file, or for an SWF container that streams that file. You then could request that person to remove the embed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, the password reference is for access to the site for uploading or downloading files... FTP up or down. And, I don't have access to the web server logs. But you raise an interesting issue. Could Facebook or something like that link to that flash photo array? The content is so innocuous that I can't imagine anyone linking to that file.

Thanks
    Your hosting company undoubtedly has access to the logs. Maybe then can send you a report of some kind. Worth asking, I think, otherwise you may have to rename your content and update your site to kill the link.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll follow up on your suggestions.