New Lounger
    Thanks

How to get rid of RAID?

1. I used Windows Image Utility to upgrade from a 300 GB drive to a 1 TB drive
    2. In the process, I either connected one of the drives (image or target) to either a wrong SATA controller on the m/b or left the drive attached too long after the restoration of the image.
    3. Now the drives think they are "raid" or at least the computer will not boot unless both drives are attached. The bios got changed from ide to raid and the Raid utility was initiated.
    4. If I change from raid to ide in bios setup, windows starts but fails to load and loops to restart, never able to boot windows. The drives show they are being "mirrored" in the bios startup screen and the Raid utility startup screen, which now comes up after the bios screen, shows it as RAID 5 at the top and the two drives as being “non-raid”.
    Doing another image backup/restore only ends up with the same configuration…if I try to restore with only one disk, changing raid to ide, windows shows “system not found”.
    Is there a way out of this without having to start from scratch, reloading OS and all my programs?

Thanks
    You might be able to restore an image of your operating system then immediately do a repair from a bootable disk.
    You would have to first remove the RAID array in the BIOS.
    (Bootable Windows 7 and repair function, or XP recovery console MBR repair, ...as an example)

No guaranties it will work as you run into a classic problem of trying to restore an image to a system that is not identical.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That suggestion is something very close to what I was going to try - I purchased Acronis True Image Home 2011 with Plus Pac, which is suppose to do that. I was looking to see if there was a better, easier answer before I attempted to use that method. Your suggestion makes me a little more confident in that solution. I will post if it works! Plus Pac is suppose to restore to dissimilar hardware, but the proof will be in the reality rather than the promise.

Dave

Thanks
    Yes, please let us/me know if it works out.
    I have never attempted it before as I have found doing a clean install to be preferable. (my time and energies)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it worked - sort of...
    Somehow, in the restore process, the on-board audio device is missed. It is not there! If you go to device manager only my webcam is listed, no audio. Also, the boot process is longer and delayed by several screen "blankings" and flashes of script windows that are not normally there- a bumpy boot!

Luckily I was able to go back to my original configuration, which runs just fine! I wrote to Acronis Tech Support to see what else they could do to help me, but if this is the answer, living with an unwanted raid is a better alternative!