Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Folder Problem

I did a clean reinstall of Xp Home 32 bit on my friend Maria's computer and everything went OK,with no startup or shutdown delays.

I wanted to install some programs for Maria, and copied the installers from my Win7 Pro 32 bit computer to hers, using my pen drive, (I scanned the pen drive first and no infections were found) but Maria's computer froze when I tried to open the folder I put the copied installers in . The pen drive was attached via usb.

I was advised to format the pen drive. I did a quick format (not from Disk Management) and then recopied the installers I wanted to put on Maria’s machine.On Maria’s machine,I deleted all the original installers and then inserted the pen drive.Windows said I needed to format it, and when I checked its properties the file system was shown as RAW. I then formatted it again on my machine (from Disk Management) to FAT 32 (it was ex-FAT originally) and reloaded all relevant installers. I made a new installers folder on Maria’s machine and loaded all relevant installers again, but opening the new installers folder causes the same problems as before.

If anyone can tell me how to sort this problem out I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2011-05-05 at 12:43. Reason: Edited to make my problem clearer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you install Service pack 3 & all hotfixes?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Joe,

I used an XP SP3 installation cd and installed all subsequent updates.

I await further advice.

Regards,
    Roy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try copying one file at a time and opening each after copying.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,
    I went one stage further, namely instead of using my pen drive I deleted every installer from my friend's Installers folder then deleted the folder itself,then made a new Installers folder. (This simple operation took an age, because the machine froze each time I tried to delete anything, and when it finally came to life it still took a while to delete each item,and I could only delete one at a time).I then redownloaded all the Installers from the internet on my friend's machine, and I thought this had solved the problem,but it soon came back.

I scanned the new installers folder with Avast antivirus,Malawarebytes,SUPERAntispyware, Sophos antirootkit and tds killer, and none of the scans found anything.(I had already done this with the original folder).

This problem is exasperating, to say the least, particularly when apart from this everything on the machine is working well.

Do you have any other ideas?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Could be a hardware problem. Have you run chkdsk?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

I am pleased to say I finally solved the problem. (Famous last words). I had noticed that the installer icons took some while to display properly, so I changed the folder view to Details. Why this helped I don't know, and you can probably enlighten me, but I then found there were no problems except with the installer for Nero. Clicking on that caused the problems I referred to previously. The Nero installer is over 220MB,and has more than one CAB file within it. My Avast antivirus program had been at the back of my mind all along, and I found that when I went to the Avast program settings and in the File System Shield settings pane,which is set to scan programs when executing, added an exception for the installers folder,everything in the folder opened without a problem.

I hope this explanation may be of use to others.

Regards,
    Roy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Nice detective work. Sometimes anti-virus programs do strange things with compressed files. That is why you often see the admonition to disable your A/V before starting an installation. Thanks for posting back.

Joe