Thanks

Red face Aero features completely missing in Windows 7

Hello fellow loungers.

I have a bit of an issue. With this last patch of security patches I applied to a Windows 7 Enterprise machine the Aero features along with serveral other features under the Visual Effects tab are completely gone.

I reinstalled the video drivers, restarted the Desktop Window Manager service, logged out back in, even, tried another profile. Still about half of the Visual Effects options are completely gone.

It's almost as if it's Windows 7 Home edition instead of Windows 7 Enterprise. Windows 7 SP 1 is NOT installed.

I really don't want to reimage this since everything else is working correctly. Just my customer wants "the pretty stuff back".

Any help is greatly appreicated.

Berri

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Verify that MS update did not install a new video driver - I've noticed performance issues with those drivers, the ones from the manufacturer are always better. Also, try running the Windows Experience Index assessment, and make sure that both Graphics numbers are 3.0 and higher.

Thanks
    Hi Cafed00d & fellow lounge memeber

FYI - I manage my systems via a WUS server. I forgot to include that. I don't roll out any type of software drives via Windows Update.

I found another site to force the Aero features to re-register.

See below.

Open the registry & naviagate to this registry key.
    1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
    If this key is missing right click on the Windows folder and pick New Key and call it DWM.
    2. In the second details window to the right, a new DWORD (32 bit) has to be made, with the name,
    UseMachineCheck, this has to be set to zero.
    3. In the same detail window to the right a new DWORD (32 bit) is created with the name Blur,
    and this has to be set to zero as well.
    4. In the end a new DWORD (32bit), name this Animations, this has to be set to zero.
    5. Open a elevated command window and stop & start the
    Desktop WIndows Manager Session Manager by typing the following:
    net stop uxsms
    net start uxsms.
    Restart Windows 7.

I hope you find it helpful as it resolved my issue.

Thanks.

Berri