New Lounger
    Thanks

Office Bootstrapper failed error message

G'day People,

I have a problem I just cannot find a solution to. Spent many hours looking for solutions on web without luck. Every one I have tried has failed to correct the problem.

I have a client who has a genuine, payed for copy of Office 2010 that just will not run properly. It has been installed several times and the install completes properly every time and we reboot the computer. Then when starting any Office product after that reboot it appears to start correctly but then gives an error message that the Startup Bootstrapper has failed. "Look for solutions" and "Close the program" are the two alternatives I get. Choosing either of those options gets me the same result. An error message that Office Home and Business cannot verify the activation and it will close now. This is strange because the Office disk says it is Office Professional not Home and Business. Click okay and it does close. This copy of office has been successfully activated a couple of times, even after getting this message.

I have reinstalled several times and had a look through the registry. I find that there has been several versions of Office on this machine in previous times. I have tried the Office Fixit programs for various versions from the Microsoft knowledgebase and, after uninstalling 2010, they tell me they cannot find anything from previous versions to uninstall.

Well any help is appreciated but it looks as though I may have to use the recovery disk and wipe everything which I really don't want to do.

Machine is Acer laptop running Windows 7.

Thanks again,
    Craig Powell

Thanks
    Craig, Welcome to the Lounge.

I would try the following:

1) Uninstall once again using Revo Uninstaller (Revo uses the Office Uninstaller, then goes further to find left over stuff. Use the advanced scanner)

2) Use CCleaner to try to find and elliminated all leftover stuff from previous versions of Office. You will be surprised how many orphaned items you find the first time through.

You do not say which version of Windows, so I will assume Win 7 since you are attempting to install Office 2010. You may have to do a Repair Install of the OS. If you still use XP you should be able to do a Google search for XP Repair Install for instructions.

Hopefully the first 2 steps will elliminate all traces of previous and failed installs of Office.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Craig,
    You stated "Office Home and Business"........ Office Professional" and that you have tried to install it numerous times.
    IMHO I would stop right there and get Microsoft Activation on the phone.
    Just out of curiosity where did your friend buy this?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    G'day People,

Just thought I would update this in case anyone was interested.

Client spent an entire day on the phone with MS support and ended up getting exactly nowhere. At Microsofts suggestion, I am now just about to reformat hard drive and reinstall from scratch.

Thanks for your suggestions though I appreciate the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Craig,
    You stated "Office Home and Business"........ Office Professional" and that you have tried to install it numerous times.
    IMHO I would stop right there and get Microsoft Activation on the phone.
    Just out of curiosity where did your friend buy this?
    The client got it from a MS initiative called "It's Not Cheating" that sells the products cheaply to students. As we are a RTO and she is a student with us she can use this program. Here's a link: http://www.microsoft.com/student/off...u/default.aspx

Thanks again,
    Craig