Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

The prospect of using MSE sounded great.

However, during installation, a message box advised that it would not run with Zone Alarm which I have onboard. Since ZA is a two way firewall, and (last I heard) Windows fire was was only incoming, I backed out of of MSE install. I consider knowing what is going out of my machine just as importamt as what is coming in. Questions;

1. Why would anybody shut out ZA unless they justt wanted to satisfy the data miners?

2. Is Windows firewall still incoming only? if so, why?

3. How can I use MSE and still have a two way firewall?

New Lounger
    Thanks

The issue is not whether they will work together.

The problem is MSE quits installing if if finds ZA on my machine. Perhaps six months ago, the installation worked ok. On my machine, at this time, the MSE will not install with ZA. That prompted my question of why MSE would go out the way to block the two way firewall while keeping an inferior one way firewall as a part of the OS. If there is no other suggestion on a work around I will have to remove them both, put MSE in first then put back ZA, although I like the older ZA much better. And I am very lazy.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've moved this post to its own thread. Please do not hijack a thread. It gets confusing in a hurry when multiple questions are being answered in the same thread. In the future please start your own thread.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    1.) I'm sure that ZA is not being intentionally locked out. Either there is an OS bug or ZA bug. See if the fixes mentionedMSE & ZA problems fixed? apply to your system.

2.) The Windows firewall is NOT inbound only. It hasn't been since Vista. By default it is set to block inbound only. The interface to control outbound connections is rather confusing. There is a utility that has a free and pay version that helps - Windows 7 Firewall Control.

3.) If ZA does not work properly you could use Comodo Firewall.

Joe

Thanks
    I would highly recommend Online Armor firewall for your consideration. I have had fantastic results with it. Works very well in Win 7 and with MSE.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Mse !?

Hi : Despite the many apparent fanboys on this Windows Secrets site, I still continue to use the FREE Avast Antivirus Home Edition ( www.avast.com ), which has the benefit of excellent online Support Forums unlike MSE which has poor Ones, where Questions of your nature would be quickly answered .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks
    There is no need to bad mouth those of us that like a different product than you use. We all have apps we like and apps we do not like. We however try not to disparage those we don't like unless they are an obvious malware app. YMMV on any app mentioned in these forums. If someone asks a question we will answer based on our experiences, and many of us have had very good experiences with MSE.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    When we need to resort to name calling to others who think differently, I think all is said and no further comments are required.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Software firewall?

Hi guys, regarding firewalls: In my opinion, it is better to use a good antivirus coupled with a hardware firewall and the Windows Firewall.

Your AV and the Windows Firewall will pickup and prevent outbound connections from software that is behaving in a way that it shouldn't. The hardware firewall will prevent incoming attacks.

Third party software firewalls have been known to cause all manner of headaches. Not particularly for the technically minded such as on this forum, but definitely for the average man in the street who clicks on a alert message without fully understanding.

What hardware firewall you ask? Well you could start with the one in your dsl router. If you have a hardware firewall in your router, your third party software firewall is going to be busy doing nothing, working the whole day through, trying to find lots of things not to do (with acknowledgement to Disney, Bing Crosby et al.)
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-05-07 at 06:58. Reason: typo in first line

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Hi guys, regarding firewalls: In my opinion, it is better to use a good antivirus coupled with the a hardware firewall and the Windows Firewall.

Your AV and the Windows Firewall will pickup and prevent outbound connections from software that is behaving in a way that it shouldn't. The hardware firewall will prevent incoming attacks.

Third party software firewalls have been known to cause all manner of headaches. Not particularly for the technically minded such as on this forum, but definitely for the average man in the street who clicks on a alert message without fully understanding.

What hardware firewall you ask? Well you could start with the one in your dsl router. If you have a hardware firewall in your router, your third party software firewall is going to be busy doing nothing, working the whole day through, trying to find lots of things not to do (with acknowledgement to Disney, Bing Crosby et al.)
    It really depends on what you call a software firewall. The best products in this call will monitor and control not only network access, but also applications running, components loaded, will provide registry protection, all things that AV apps do not even deal with. So, considering these types of forewall, I actually disagree with you and if there is an app I would never do without, that would be my firewall (I use Online Armor ++). The major security threat these days is malware and the best firewalls provide tools that no AV does. Most hardware firewalls provide only network intrusion protection and won't do anything against malware, especially malware that comes through the most used attack vector these days - the browser.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Hi guys, regarding firewalls: In my opinion, it is better to use a good antivirus coupled with the a hardware firewall and the Windows Firewall.

Tinto, Welcome to the Lounge.

This very approach has been discussed many times in these forums, A multi-layered proactive approach to security seems to work best, at least for me. I use MSE AV, Online Armor ++ software firewall and a hardware firewall in my Linksys e4200 router. These apps combined with good computing and surfing habits have kept me safe. Several AM scanning tools are also very helpful.

The best protection scheme, however, can not keep you safe from the worst offender, Ourselves! We have to learn not to fall for the attacks. We have to learn the proper way to close a phishing invite, etc. Your Up To Date AV/AM apps won't work if you merrily click away on uninvited popups. We have to train ourselves to do the right things to protect ourselves.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ted, ruirib: you are correct to recommend a layered model.

I'm not familiar with Online Armour ++, but have plenty of experience of similar products. In Online Armour ++, do you have the capability to look at the logs? If so, I'm guessing that it probably hasn't detected much in the way of bad stuff on your machines (network intrusion, malware signatures etc). However, to balance that argument, this is quite likely due to your experience and safe browsing habbits on the internet. For less informed users, additional protection might pickup malicious activity.

Perhaps this is more of a philosophical question: for inexperienced users, should we recommend patching the weak points (browsers and 3rd party software such as Flash, Java and Reader), should we recommend a safety net such as the security suite(s) discussed here, or should we educate the users. I think all three, but with a caveat - make sure the users understand what they are getting when they purchase a paid-for security suite. I see many users purchase products based on marketing and fluff rather than understanding (so we get back to education).

To return to the OP's question: if you feel the need to use a 3rd party firewall, there have been some good suggestions here. However, if you are an experienced user who practices safe working and has an understanding of the threats, you may find that you are layering up too much.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The discussions on AV's and Firewalls is almost as old as the computer. My feeling is this. There are a number of excellent AV programs. There are a number of excellent firewalls and firewall methodology, ie software and hardware. They all work great and what it all boils down to is personal preference. When one uses a program for a certain amount of time they learn that program and feel confortable using it therefor..............thats the program they stick with. Lets face it, some programs work better on a individual computer than another simply due to age of computer, its resources etc as well as if the program is a stand alone or a full suite one. Different strokes for bla bla bla. So boys and girls, use what you like. What Ted Myers says above it king. multi-layer AND our own precautions in what we open and where we surf is the solution. I also have added WinPatrol to help monitor any changes to my system. There's a free version too. http://www.winpatrol.com/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Tinto Tech, James S (and Ted, of course), I agree with what you wrote.
    No technology will ever be effective without user education. Even an educated use of technology will not ensure total safety, but can it help. So, while there is no silver bullet, each of us chooses whatever technologies and apps that we feel provide the best protection we are willing to get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast