New Lounger
    Thanks

Tried System Repair: now have no drivers

I tried a system repair to XP Home on my HP Pavilion ze4935wm notebook. (Did so because I couldn't download Service Pack 3 or upgrade IE or receive any Windows Updates - including updating virus definitions in MS Security Essentials). Followed MS and HP instructions for a repair. Seemed to have worked. Had to activate XP by telephone because I received OS CD via a MS support agent. Can't type or use my touchscreen so can't activate. MS Support (telephonic) thinks drivers are gone (SO DO I) so went to HP to get "Recovery Media" (as MS support recommended). HP site lists NO RECOVERY DISKS for my specific product, altho does list individual drivers. Any ideas what to do or have I permanently "killed" my notebook.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Often OEMs such as HP have a recovery partition on the hard drive. Usually there is an easy way to boot into the Recovery process. Have you checked Order recovery Disks for XP?

Joe

Thanks
    Your bootable Windows XP CD should have all the appropriate generic drivers for keyboard and mouse. That goes same for a bootable XP dos disk/floppy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

suenewby (2011-05-07)

Thanks
    Is this site from HP where you tried to get drivers? I guess I do not understand your post. Do you or don't you have a bootable XP CD? If you do, as Clint mentions, you should be able to reinstall from this disk. If you don't, the link Joe provided shows how to order said CD. In either case, once you have reinstalled the OS from the CD, my link will take you to the updated drivers. As Clint mentions the generic drivers to get you started should be on the CD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are no recovery disks for XP on the HP site. My computer was manufactured in 2004, and HP no longer provides support for computers manufactured before 2006. This is direct from HP telephonic support who I spoke with yesterday. How do I boot into the recovery process? I have tried booting in safe mode but cannot find a restore/recovery process. I scroll to "last good configuration", hit enter, and it does nothing. I am using an external mouse and my up/down arrow keys work in "boot" but my keyboard does not work in any mode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    According to Microsoft telephone support, my bootable Windows XP CD does not have the drivers (agent made me read what was on the CD to him). Microsoft told me I had to go to HP to get the drivers. Remember, I was attempting a repair, and received only one disk from Microsoft. As I understand it, a recovery requires multiple disks - separate disks for drivers and OEM installed software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Your link takes me to the site where I tried to get drivers. When I enter my model, and "show all drivers" on your link, you willn see there is no recovery disk for my computer model. That is because my model was manufactured in 2004, and HP no longer supports it. The link Joe provides discusses non-support for computers manufactured before 2006. Mine was manufactured in 2004, per HP, and HP no longer supports it. I have a bootable XP CD. I went through the "repair" process. This install apppeared to work, but because I cannot use my keyboard I cannot enter the six five-digit codes Microsoft provides me to activate the newly installed Windows. Microsoft support agents tell me the drivers are not on the bootable CD I received from Microsoft, and Microsoft does not provide them, I have to get them from HP. If the generic drivers are on the bootable disk provided by Microsoft, how do I access them and turn them on?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is there a recovery partition on the disk?

Joe

Thanks
    Put the Bootable CD you have in and instead of a repair install to a complete reinstall of XP. Evidently the repair option does not work with your CD. If this does not work you may be out of luck. Your PC is too old to get to work with this option.

The other thing I would suggest is to acquire a complete XP installation media from eBay, or other sources. With a complete installation disk you can reinstall Windows XP from scratch.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

suenewby (2011-05-07)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Put the Bootable CD you have in and instead of a repair install to a complete reinstall of XP. Evidently the repair option does not work with your CD. If this does not work you may be out of luck. Your PC is too old to get to work with this option.

The other thing I would suggest is to acquire a complete XP installation media from eBay, or other sources. With a complete installation disk you can reinstall Windows XP from scratch.
    Ted,

I think his problem is that the XP CD is from Microsoft and does not have the HP specific drivers for his keyboard. On older notebooks, OEMs often had slightly modified hardware and drivers that would not work with the generic drivers on a normal install CD. So, a complete reinstall of XP won't do any more than a repair.

He might be better off going out and buying a cheap external keyboard.

Joe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

suenewby (2011-05-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, you've hit the nail on the head. The XP CD from Microsoft does not have the HP specific drivers; HP does not support this model any longer; I borrowed an external keyboard and am able to type so may consider the purchase of an external keyboard.

As an FYI to all you nice folks that helped me, the activation worked using the external keyboard but my computer tells me my copy of XP is not authorized, even though Microsoft sent it to me, and they gave me the codes to activate it. I'm going to call Microsoft now but just thought you all would find this funny - I sure do. Thanks for your help, Joe, and I'm going to try to figure out how to post thanks to everyone - I'm a new user and am still learning.

Thanks
    suenewby, you may want to reserve the use of the "Thanks" button for those that have actually contributed to the resolution of the issue at hand, and not just use it on anyone that replies.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gotchya. First question, just learning, appreciate the advice.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Assuming you haven't trashed the 'hidden partition': http://www.probz.com/index.php?showtopic=35

If you already reformatted the HDD with a non-HP disk or a different model HP disk, then download the correct HP drivers from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...ct=444493#N394

New Lounger
    Thanks
    you can try this link for a recovery cd - not very expensive
    http://tinyurl.com/6zk3m8p