Thread: Slow booting

New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow booting

HI Folks,

This may not be the same problem, but has similarities.

I am using Windows 7 Pro. One day my machine started acting strangely after booting. It would take 30 minutes to start running normally.

I tried Task Manager (TM) to see what was running. It would only show me my and Local processes. not all the others. When I clicked on Show All Processes, it froze the TM screen. I started another TM and End Processed the first. TM showed almost no CPU usage, but the CPU gadget on the desktop showed 5-25% usage.
    Something was going on I couldn't see.

I checked for virus/malware. I disabled MS Essentials and SuperAnti Spyware with no change.

When Win 7 finally started working correctly, all the processes then showed in TM. I looked for the highest CPU time and that was for SERVICES. I looked that up and found it was for sharing devices/printers.

I had previously installed a shared printer to one of my routers and subsequently gave that printer to my son for college.
    I checked my win7 printers and it was still there. I deleted it and rebooted.

BINGO, it booted and ran immediately.
    Apparently, Win7 has a "must complete" on the Services process until it completes the search.

I'm guessing that his may also happen with other shared devices that have been removed.

Hope this info helps someone.

Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I moved your post to its own thread in the proper forum. Please do not hijack another thread.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

roundsdd (2011-05-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Sorry, but I didn't consider my post would be seen as a hijacking. Granted it was about a Win7 problem I had, but I wasn't asking for help, on or off topic. I thought somebody may be able to use the information after having read all the other posts.

Thanks for starting a new thread in Win 7. Somebody there may find it helpful.

Regards,
    Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Reading closer, perhaps I was a bit harsh. But I think it may be more useful for Windows 7 users. Sorry, for my confusion.

Joe