2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mysterious hidden desktop

Since a few days ago, without having installed any new software or Windows updates (except an Adobe Acrobat 9 update), my desktop seems to go into hiding after a return from the screen saver, which is a blank screen.

When I click the mouse or the keyboard to restore the desktop from the screen saver, there's nothing there but the mouse cursor. But if I move the mouse, the areas where it has moved seems to 'paint' back the desktop in that part. If I move the mouse all over the screen, the entire desktop image is restored.

I checked the power settings (they remain default), the desktop image and the screen saver. All are the same as before this problem started.

I've used the same desktop image and screensaver way back since Windows 95 - and for a year in 7 Ultimate. This new phenomenon has me puzzled.

I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience and was able to fix it, or that a kind soul has a solution.
    Last edited by joro; 2011-05-06 at 23:08.

Thanks
    Could this be one of those ellusive graphic card problems? I might try going to the manufacturer's site and checking for updated graphics driver, just a thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, Ted. All my drivers are up to date, but I just realized that I had installed a program about the time this started. It's a free application [Evernote] that lets notes, pictures and voice files synch both ways between a PC and a mobile device, in my case an iPod Touch. Works very well and seems useful, but if it causes problems, out it goes.

As the desktop problem didn't occur today, I'll let things go as they are for a few more days. If the problem persists, I'll remove Evernote.

Thanks
    You might also consider looking at the application portion of the eventvwr.msc the next time the problems occurs.
    It may, or may not point to a specific application or process. Also look at the date/time provided for each event, if any.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I intentionally have my desktop icons disappear when I don't need them. I use Iconoid. http://www.sillysot.com
    Just moving the mouse over the desktop brings them back.

Maybe this little utility could help with your mysterious desktop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The mysterious desktop phenomenon disappeared five days ago, just as mysteriously as it appeared. After five days of watchful waiting (that's the medical term for doing nothing, but doing it carefully), it hasn't come back.

As a beta tester for the original Windows (version 0.9) back in the late 70s, I've learned not to be surprised when Windows does strange things for no apparent reason. Not surprised, but still annoyed. That said, 7 is their cleanest and most stable OS thus far.

Since this seems to be resolved, I'll thank everyone for their advice and suggestions and close the issue.