Thanks

Disable download notifications

When I download in IE 9, a download bar pops up at the bottom of the screen. It also totally apparently disables using Get Right as a download manager.

How can I turn off IE's monitoring of my downloads so that I can get GR to work?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Everything I have been able to find states the IE9 download manager can not be disabled but,

See if this might help:

DisableDownloadManager.jpg

Internet Options, Security tab, Internet, Custom Level, Downloads. I'm not sure if this will do what you want, but it may be.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-05-07 at 17:08.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I think there is no way to disable the download manager.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think you can not disable the IE9 download manager.

Joe

Thanks
    You cannot disable the IE9 download manager, but you can specify a default download location or even change the download location prior to the start of all downloads.
    MSE AV/AM scans seems to be integrated into all downloads upon completion, which is a nice security feature.

It can be annoying especially if you have gotten used to and have relied on a 3rd party tool for all your downloading needs.
    Perhaps a browser addon will provide extra tweaking and fine tuning to this feature in the future.

Thanks
    I have to agree with Clint. The automatic AV/AM scan when MSE is installed is a very nice addition to the IE9 download manager. Just another way to attempt to keeo the nasties out. Plus the IE9 download manager seems to work well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted Myers's method of Disabling Download Manager in IE9 works perfectly well for IE9 Full Release (May 2011) in Windows 7. It is indeed simply the route through options to enable or disable the download manager in earlier editions of IE. I was looking for a 'problem' which does not exist! The excellent Internet Download Manager now takes over the downloads as it should.

Thanks
    That setting does not disable the download manager - it pops up a message that downloads are not allowed. That's not the same thing at all.

The way to make getright work is tell it to require Ctrl + Alt to force a download, and have it use at least one key (e.g. Shift - see note called out in blue) to ignore clicks.

GetRight-ForceDL.png

Then when you want to use getright, hold down Ctrl + Alt, and click the download link...
    when you specifically want it to download in IE, hold down a Shift key and click the download link...
    when you want the option, click the link, and if/when the getright dialog appears click Cancel and it will pass it the download back to IE.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using the excellent 'Internet Download Manager', which automatically over-rides the IE9 download manager on almost all download links (no use of key combination needed). I did have GetRight many moons ago but have moved on.... IDM automatically points my downloads into a specific folder on a second (data) drive. Just rarely a site's downloader will kick in and then I have to 'rescue' the dowloaded file from C:\user\myusername\downloads, which seems to be the system default.

Thanks
    Actually, even though I paid for GR pro, I prefer FDM, because it lets you use 'Create portable version' to put it on a USB stick and use it on any computer without installing it everywhere. I asked for similar functionality from Headlight years ago and was completely ignored, while FDM implemented it less than a month after the request.

FDM-CreatePortable.png

You can change the default download location using Options in the lower-left corner of IE9's View downloads window (Ctrl+J), by the way.
    Last edited by Darr247; 2012-05-11 at 08:58. Reason: added