New Lounger
    Thanks

Links in Windows 7 Backup & Restore do not function

I just restored my Toshiba Satellite A500 laptop to factory condition as directed by Toshiba after discovering Windows 7 Backup links and buttons were not working.

After completing the restore, the backup & restore feature was functioning fine, but after installing my other programs the links and buttons in Backup no longer work again. I did not install any programs that are known to cause this issue. The main programs include:

Office 2010
    Internet Explorer 9
    Opera
    Safari
    Firefox
    Google Chrome
    Pandora
    Winamp
    Live365
    RealPlayer
    Slacker
    iTunes & Quicktime
    Miro
    Zinio Reader
    Adobe Reader
    Weatherbug
    1 Click Answers
    Norton Internet Security 2011
    Secunia PSI
    Second Copy 8

All drivers were installed and updated BEFORE installing the most updated versions of the programs listed above and Windows backup was working fine at that time. Does anyone kinow how to fix this?

Jeff

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpianist View Post
    I just restored my Toshiba Satellite A500 laptop to factory condition as directed by Toshiba after discovering Windows 7 Backup links and buttons were not working.

After completing the restore, the backup & restore feature was functioning fine, but after installing my other programs the links and buttons in Backup no longer work again. I did not install any programs that are known to cause this issue. The main
    Jeff,
    Hello... If you "Right Click" on "Backup and Restore" and select "properties" Make sure that you have "Permission" to run the program ...You may have to set yourself as "Administrator" or "Owner" under the "Advanced Screen" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Did you check to see if Backup and Restore was working after each app was installed rather than after installing all these apps? That way perhaps you could have isolated which app was causing your grief. Did you make an Image after getting Windows reinstalled before installing the apps? This would have allowed restoration of the OS within minutes.

What you might want to try is to uninstall the apps one at a time and see if the Backup and Restore is "restored". I would use an uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller or Absolute Uninstaller to uninstall the apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Links & buttons in Windows Backup & Restore do not function

Hi,

I tried setting permissions and had no luck. Also, all of the programs I installed never caused this problem before.

I do have an earlier restore point, but I was trying to avoid having to reinstall all those programs again.

Jeff

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would probably start by uninstalling Second Copy 8. Being a backup app itself, it may interfere with the similar features from Windows.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does "Second Copy 8" hijack any of the Windows 7 Backup & Restore functions?

Are the versions of all the newly installed programs different from the versions that previously worked on your system?

Thanks
    Since it's likely one of those apps caused the problem, possibly due to compatibility issue, it would be interesting to find out which caused the problem. I would think restoring then installing one at a time and checking would be the least time consuming alternative. I would say Office 2010 and IE9 are safe (I use them both with no problems) I also use a couple of the others but who knows.

Second copy 8 is also a copy app. Perhaps this is interfering with Win 7 Backup and Restore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I just found the culprit: DocLock. I removed it and all worked fine! That is a program that was offered to subscribers of Windows Secrets free of charge at the $35.00 contribution level. I called the support department of Large Software, which makes the program and I was both shocked and disappointed with them. First, they flatly denied that their software would cause that kind of problem, even though I showed them via remote that the problem went away when DocLock was removed, then returned when the program was reinstalled. He again denied that the software caused problems and claimed that I messed up the computer. He then connected me to a "senior" rep who tried to sell me a software package that would remove all errors on the computer for the "discount" price of $359.00!!

Obviously, Windows Secrets should no longer be recomending and distributing this software!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 7 Backup links and buttons not working

To those unfamilliar with DocLock, the program essentially locks down documents such as text and .pdf files so that a password is required to view them. Actually what DocLock does is make a duplicate of the original file and changes the extension, leaving the original intact and unsecured. Most people will probablly not notice this and think all their private docs are secure, but beware, the originals are still left on the hard drive and accessible to anyone!

Thanks
    Thanks for the valuable advice on DocLock. It sure did sound like another app was causing your problem. If you are installing many apps at a time, it's never hurts to go one at a time then check to see if anything else broke before continuing. It takes a little longer but often the time use saves t/s time later.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted