Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Firefox 4 freezing

Hey everyone,

Since upgrading to FF4 (4.0.1) on my two Win 7 64 systems, one a Vaio laptop with i3 one a HP Desktop with i5 cpu, Firefox periodically freezes. If I wait anywhere from 30 seconds or so to about a minute or a little more it starts responding again. Curious if anyone else has been experiencing this. It also seems to affect streaming video. Sometimes a reboot will fix the hiccupping video, but not the freezing. Considering I am running this on two diverse systems and having the exact same issue I am leaning towards FF as the cause. I do run a number of add ons such as NoScript, Last Pass, IETab Plus and a number of others that I can list if need be.

It is not a system crasher, just an annoyance really, and I was hoping that Mozilla may have fixed this with the the 4.0.1 update but, no.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM 1 TB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; HP laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 320 GB Hdd Vista 64; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    That's a long pause. On older XP systems running 3.6, I've had pauses of 10 seconds or so which I attribute to cache maintenance or other activity under the covers. That should not be as much of an issue in Firefox 4 due to the much larger cache.

Could you test with graphics acceleration disabled?

Tools > Options > Advanced > General sub-tab

"Use hardware acceleration when available"

If that helps, you may need to upgrade drivers for your graphics chipset, or there may be an incompatibility with your graphics chipset.

Thanks
    Hmmm... My computer is a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-127-c with NVidia gt220 graphics card 1 gig vram and the latest drivers (that I know of, I've upgraded twice since purchase last summer). The Vaio uses Intel integrated graphics, yet I am having the same issue on both machines; are you suggesting I check or _un_check the "Use hardware..." option, it is checked now. Even as I type this there is some lag between the actual typing of the letters and when they appear on the page. Also, I know when it is messing up because the scroll wheel on my mouse is delayed, too. I just started the browser and checked the thread for replies. It seems as if the longer I have the browser open, the better it gets, and usually only after the long pause, which seems to happen when I open a new tab/page. Even when the 'freeze' occurs, cpu use is at a minimum.

Seeing as it happens on both computers it seems less likely that it is the hardware at fault, especially considering everything else works rather well.

(Wish I could edit my typo in the thread title! )
    Last edited by survivor78; 2011-05-09 at 06:49.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM 1 TB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; HP laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 320 GB Hdd Vista 64; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64

BUT

Thanks
    Thanks to whomever fixed my typo!

BUT

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Add-ons? I bet...

survivor78, I bet my hide on one (or several) of your add-ons likely in cooperation with a "normal" networking issue like a DNS translation lag.

Have you checked your add-ons against Mozilla's list of slow performing add-ons?

How "fast" or slow are your ISP's DNS servers? Have you compared them against OpenDNS? You can do that with speedtest.net.

Let us know please.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

survivor78 (2011-05-12)

Thanks
    Have you disabled all your add-ons and then see if the hangs persist?

Also, if your profiles date from Fx 3.6 or earlier, it may be time to make new ones. Refer to this Mozillazine article for what files to transfer from your old profile to your new one:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox

Note: If you are using Firefox Sync, you may consider NOT copying your old places file to your new profiles as syncing with the Sync server should download your data to the new profiles' places.sqlite files.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WildcatRay For This Useful Post:

survivor78 (2011-05-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I've upgraded to Firefox 4, I've noticed the same thing. Firefox will freeze on me at least once a day. I never had any problems with the 3.x versions. This has also happened with two different computers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    this has happened to me in firefox 3. It us usually a plug in issue, and I had several plug ins. I removed them all and only added back the ones I needed. That fixed it. But it was an extremely annoying problem that had me considering dumping firefox.
    ---Dale

Thanks
    eikelein and Wildcat Ray,

Thanks for the replies. I, too, had thought about add-ons as the culprit, but didn't know about that list of poorly performing ones. Strangely enough, the only one I see on the list that I actually use is Mozilla's own Personas Plus 1.6.2! I disabled it just now on my Vaio, restarted Firefox, and noticed immediate improvement. Now I will see if things stay that way, and also try this on my other computer. Also, fwiw, I have been using OpenDNS for years now, and regularly test my speed with speedtest.net and other speed testers.

So, for the moment, it looks like Personas Plus is the problem, go figure, that something developed by Mozilla for Mozilla would be the thing that slows down Firefox.

Thanks again, and will post here if anything changes or if the issue arises again.

BUT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dalejanus View Post
    this has happened to me in firefox 3. It us usually a plug in issue, and I had several plug ins. I removed them all and only added back the ones I needed. That fixed it. But it was an extremely annoying problem that had me considering dumping firefox.
    ---Dale
    Plugins can be an issue, too. With Fx 4, most plugins will run in a separate process. If you open up Task Manager, you may see one or more "plugin-container.exe" listings. If you see Fx hang, open Task Manager and see if the activity is firefox.exe or plugin-container.exe. That can help clue you in as to where the issue may be.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use XP and had problems with FF4 from the start. It often refused to open links, even within a site, such as my spread betting company, which was a real pain. Eventually I reverted to v 3.6 which worked fine.

As there have been no problems with FF4 on my wife’s Vista machine, I installed 4.0.1 this morning, to see if the problem was resolved. It worked OK for a while, then started freezing, not for 1 – 2 minutes, but it refuses to respond, and task manager is unable to terminate it. The only way out is to hold down the on/off until the machine closes down.

Twice this afternoon I have removed and reinstalled it, and it now seems to be working, but has not had much use since the last installation, as I have been reading WS.

I have switched off acceleration as suggested, and will try creating a new profile when I have time, although that seems somewhat complex for my simple mind. In my opinion, FF4 does not work well with XP.

Thanks
    Well, even though it seems to be happening less often, it still is happening.
    Taking Wildcat Ray's suggestion I opened Task Manager and when the hang occurred there were two instances of plugin container with zero cpu use and firefox.exe with only about 22-24% cpu. There never is the "[software title] is not responding" message in the title bar of the program, it just hangs and eventually frees up.

It still is better without Personas enabled, now I will try disabling all of my add ons and then re-enable them one by one when I get a chance.

To be continued...
    Last edited by survivor78; 2011-05-12 at 13:14.

BUT

Thanks
    Here are some Mozillazine Knowledge Base articles pertinent to troubleshooting issues with Firefox.

Standard Diagnostics: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
    Firefox CPU usage: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_CPU_usage
    Firefox crashes: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor78 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Since upgrading to FF4 (4.0.1) on my two Win 7 64 systems, one a Vaio laptop with i3 one a HP Desktop with i5 cpu, Firefox periodically freezes. If I wait anywhere from 30 seconds or so to about a minute or a little more it starts responding again. Curious if anyone else has been experiencing this. It also seems to affect streaming video. Sometimes a reboot will fix the hiccupping video, but not the freezing. Considering I am running this on two diverse systems and having the exact same issue I am leaning towards FF as the cause. I do run a number of add ons such as NoScript, Last Pass, IETab Plus and a number of others that I can list if need be.

It is not a system crasher, just an annoyance really, and I was hoping that Mozilla may have fixed this with the the 4.0.1 update but, no.
    I've had similar problems and so far have been able to trace them to some combination of Noscript and/or Ghostery. I've been able to create exceptions that fixed the freezing problem by "whitelisting" specific web pages, thus effectively turning off these useful add-ons for specific trusted web pages. Most often I will just turn off one of these add-ons temporarily unless I expect to see the same page or pages frequently. In that case, I'll grant exceptions permanently. It's easy to do this from the add-on status bar at the bottom of the page in Firefox 4.x. Just right-click the Noscript and/or the Ghostery icon and go from there.

I hope this helps. I don't frequent this forum too often so please excuse me if I don't reply to your reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also had the "freezing" problem with FF4 on a 32-bit system. As with others, I've yet to be able to narrow it down to anything specific, but wish I had been paying better attention because I believe it started happening immediately after one of Microsoft's multiple Tuesday updates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast