New Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting footnotes in Word 98

I hate Word 2010 so I went back to my old 97 98 version. Works great no problem, except one, the help file doesn't work. So if I have a problem I can't look it up.
    My biggest problem right now is a manuscript that I need to submit WITHOUT FOOTNOTES. I put them in as a guide for myself and now I can't get all of them out.

Some will let me delete the number in the text and then go clear that one at the bottom of the page, but some will not.

How am I supposed to delete them? Anyone know?
    Also, I have a headline for a chapter that will not let the text come onto the same page as it. It will allow it to come up to it then suddenly push it to the next page, sometimes two pages and I have even deleted it and retyped it and it still will put empty page/s in. ??? Anyone got an idea?

I have fried to find the way for months and now I am on deadline, trying to put it into the publisher's format and I can't get rid of these two issues. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks
    Incredibly, Microsoft still has support articles for Word 97-98! This one may help with the footnotes: WD: How to Delete All Auto-Numbered Footnotes.

I don't understand what you are describing with the chapter headline. There is a paragraph format option to insert a page break before a paragraph, but I don't think there is one to insert a page break after. If you use Normal view, can you see any section break or other break between the headline and the text? You might need to post part of the document to get a second opinion if you can't see anything unusual.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Select the footnote number and press delete (or Ctrl-X to cut it); this will also delete the associated footnote from below. You cannot just delete the footnote text, and backspacing to remove it may not work (especially if revision marking is set on).

If you need the footnotes -- but not in the Word format -- you can gather them all together so you don't need to retype them. First, change the setting from "bottom of page" to "end of section" in the footnote dialog. This will accumulate them at the end of the section (or document if there is only one section). You can them select them all at once and copy them so you can paste them somewhere else as text. You do lose the numbers -- they will all show as "0" and will need to be edited out -- but the content is all there. You can use the Go To tab of the Find dialog to jump backwards through the document to remove the footnote numbers (and the still-remaining associated footnotes): start at the bottom of the document, click "Footnote" in the Go To What part, then click Previous. The dialog is modal so you can leave it on the screen while you drop out to cut each footnote. If your publisher needs to have a placeholder for the footnote, you can type it in after cutting the Word link.

For the chapter heading, check the Keep Together and Keep with Next settings in the paragraph(s) following the heading, and turn them off if they are set on.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting footnotes

Thank you for your replies! they were very helpful. I was able to delete the numbers and then go back and delete the footnote text.
    Then I saw the second reply about needing the footnotes and copying them...ooops. That would have been a good idea but I didn't see it in time. lol
    One good thing I have the original on disc so I can do that to that file and get them back for reference!
    Thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With your pagination issue, without seeing the file it is hard to work out what is going on but these are the things to check.

Firstly, show all your formatting marks so you can be sure that there are no hard page breaks after the heading.

Next, check the paragraph formatting for the paragraphs AFTER the heading. It sounds like you might have ticked the 'Keep Lines Together' and 'Keep with Next' settings for those paragraphs. This chain of links would force each paragraph to stay with the next one despite the page before having enough space for the first paragraphs.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia