Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RKupiec

Group in Address Book?

I've been at this for 2 weeks, I sure hope someone can help.
    I have an imported file (.pst) into OL2K Everything works fine, over 1300 contacts I can edit, etc. However, my client has created 3 groups within the address book that will not appear. The group names are there, but when I click on them, it says there are no entries. When I try to either open directly through the contacts, or click on address book. Is there a problem because it was an imported file??? Mind you, she said *make sure you don't lose those 100 people in the group*. I never had anything appear in the first place. HELP!!
    Thanks,
    Rosanne Kupiec

susabelle

Re: Group in Address Book?

It is possible that it imported the name of the group (folder) but not the actual contents of the folder. When I've worked with these, if there have been groups (subfolders) in the original contact list, I imported them separately, then the larger list. It's been a couple of years, but I do remember running into this problem before.

Don't panic...yet...can you get to the original place the contacts were kept, and try to re-export them so you can try it again? That's what I would try first.

-Susabelle

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

by group, you mean a distrubution list? The associated contacts are connected using a url, pointing not at the relative path but absolute. the DL is likely looking for the contacts in the pst. emailing a DL doesn't work for this reason.

do you have the orginial file available? if so, try opening it using file > open and dragging the DL over. it may work or not. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

RKupiec

Thanks for responding. Yes, I can get to the original file, but does that mean that all the work I've done updating the contacts will be overwritten?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

DO NOT use the old file and import/export. YES you will likely lose any changes. (Outlook sometimes notices you made changes and asks, but it's unreliable.)

When ever possible, open the file and move or copy items, avoid export. It causes more problems than it's worth.

susabelle

No, you won't lose the changes IF IF IF IF IF you do NOT import the entire file over again! Just import the "groups" (which should come over as subfolders) and put the subfolders in the contacts.

This is an advanced feature, tho, and if you're not comfortable/familiar with this, you should practice first by importing into a folder in your contacts that you can play around with, and later delete if it doesn't work out. To create a folder under your contacts, turn on your folder list (view|folders| and right click on contacts|create new folder and give it a name.

Outlook is notorious for not really importing properly, so you may have continued trouble with it. In the future, I suggest exporting the contacts not to a pst but to an excel file, then importing the excel file into outlook, it's much less buggy.

-Susabelle

RKupiec

Maybe the best thing to do is call my client and ask her to fax me a copy of the DL. CAn she print it when she opens it? This way I won't contaminate work I've already done (8 billable hrs worth)

RKupiec

THis is off subject - but need to sign off. My daughter who is expecting just spilled BIN primer on her floor and can't inhale the fumes. Need to run - I'll try everything when I return. WIsh I had found this group 2 weeks ago. I'll look for the answer to printing it for me from her end [img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img]

RKupiec

OK, I'm back. I must really be doing something wrong. I finally was able to open (don't ask me what I did right) my own contact file - small one. Thought I'd try to create a DL then see if it would print. BUt, when i try to do that, it and I have my contact list right in front of me, the address book displays my client's contact list. Confused is not what I am right now [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

view > folder tree. do you have more than one contacts folder? i'm guessing yes and that both are enabled as address books.

(hope your daughter is ok [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

RKupiec

Yes,she's fine - had to open windows, very strong smell (and we're in Upstate NY, pretty cold)
    Ummm, Address Book enabled - where do I find that little tool? That might be the problem with my contacts (yes, separate folder)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

right click on the contacts folder, outlook address book tab controls what folders are used as address book.

RKupiec

Did you see the light bulb come on? IT worked!!

Is therre any easy way to just print the DL Group?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] not really, might be a utility at http://www.slipstick.com

Are all the addresses in the DL as you expected? Actually, i think they'll be listed but won't work if used in an email. Has to do with the virtualness of the DL.

RKupiec

Sorry, signed off for the day.
    Think I figured out how to work around the problem. I created a *test* DL in my contacts. Opened it, maximized the screen, took a screen shot, went to Eudora, new message, edit paste. Voila! There is my DL (chose View/List to minimize the information). Tried to print all different ways, wouldn't work. I'll contact my client and see if this will work. I'll let you know.
    Thank you very, very much for your help. I have Woody's books, Barry Simons book, and couldn't do it without all of you as a resource![img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast