Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

DVD-R Disk Problem

I normally write on all my CD/DVDs to identify the contents, but came across a DVD-R that obviously has had something burned to it but has nothing to identify it. When I insert the disk autoplay doesn't open.If I double click the DVD/CD drive a dialogue box opens headed "Burn a Disk" and asks how I want to use the disk. Two options are shown. The first is to use it like a USB flash drive, and this is preselected. The second option is grayed out. If I click Next I am told to format the disk and that it is write protected. If I try to format it I am told I can't because the disk is write protected. (Catch 22!).

Can I remove the write protection, and if so how?

I would greatly appreciate advice.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Thanks
    DVD-RWs are the only DVDs that are rewritable. DVD-Rs are write-once, read-many only. While DVD-RWs are write-many, read-many.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't be done. What you have in your possession is a coaster. I've made many of them myself! I wish I could sell them, but there are too many of them out there, so no market!

Its also conceivable that it was burned on a different burner and not finalized. Either way, toss it.
    Chuck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Chowur and Doc Brown. The disk has been duly tossed.

Regards,
    Roy