3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Erroneous symbols in WP documents opened in Word 2010

Hi all - hate to bring up WordPerfect in an Office forum, but ....

Our office has a lot of documents that were originally created in WordPerfect. Since then, most have been converted to Word 2003, and now we're moving to Word 2010. I've noticed on several documents that symbols are showing up funny in Word 2010. Where there was a Section symbol (), now there's an apostrophe. Where there was an apostrophe, now there's an equal sign (=). I did a little testing and this ONLY seems to happen on documents which followed that conversion path (WordPerfect to Word 2003 to Word 2010). If I open a document that is currently in WordPerfect .wpd format in Word 2010 ... the conversion works fine.

Any ideas? I tried to find support articles on the web and my searches are coming up fruitless. Found something close which mention missing fonts, and included a download of five fonts which were shipped with older versions of Windows but not newer ones (or some such). Installed those but it didn't seem to make a difference. I've inserted symbols into a WordPerfect document, along with the name of the symbol written out, converted it to Word 2003, then opened in Word 2010 and .pdf'd it so I could attach it as an example.

Thanks - Sat

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Sounds similar to the problem in this thread: Cleanup/Convert Unwanted Symbols | Windows Secrets Lounge. You could try the macro linked there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Was there any movement on this? There is a shared network drive for a department at my work and we are having the same issue. There are a multitude of documents with this issue. The computer the documents were made on can open them fine, but every one elses are openeing up with the replaced characters. Bullets are replaced with X's, apostrophes with eqaul signs, so on and so on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganL View Post
    Was there any movement on this?
    Did you try the WP font links in the other thread?