2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Search - Can I get the XP search window back?

I love using Windows 7 and find it a big improvement over XP in many ways.

But I find the Windows 7 Search facility so confusing and cumbersome to use. When I do a Windows 7 search and it returns nothing, I am never sure if its because there really is nothing there or because I failed to enter the correct parameters. Even when I get results back from a search, I am never confident that it actually searched everywhere I wanted it to search.

Is there any way I can get back the search window I had under XP, where I can enter all the search parameters I want in that window?

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can not get the XP search back.

If you have not adjusted how Windows indexes items you may indeed be missing some. Click on the start orb. Type "search" in the search bar. Click "Change how Windows searches". Click the "Modify" button and add the folders you want Windows to index. Click "OK". Click the "Advanced" button. Then click the "Rebuild" button to force Windows to completely rebuild the search index.

See Advanced Search Query Syntax for information on performing better searches. The web page says Windows Search 4.0 but is applicable to Windows 7.

Joe

Thanks
    I have found that once I indexed my entire HD properly using the method Joe has outlined, my searches work very well. In XP you had to use Run to get apps, but in Win 7 you get both apps and search from the search window. This seems much more intuitive to me. I agree it would have been nice if the indexing was done by default, but that would have involved indexing each time something was changed, added or updated automatically. In this case the index has to manually run periodically to pick up new stuff.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Totally by accicent I read this post. Totally by choice I restarted my indexing and enjoy great searches again. Thanks

Lee
    Live Free or Die

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dglarson View Post

Is there any way I can get back the search window I had under XP, where I can enter all the search parameters I want in that window?
    dglarson,
    Hello...There are two free programs that work without any "hoop jumping" (as with the MS flavor) one is "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/ and the other is "AgentRansack" http://www.mythicsoft.com/Page.aspx?...&page=download "give em a try" and you wont bother with the other anymore.Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Be aware that the "Everything" product indexes on folder and file names not content. It only works on local volumes. See Everything FAQ.

It appears that Agent Ransack does not index compressed files or Outlook PST files or networked files. See Feature comparison.

Joe

Thanks
    I just always had good luck with Win 7 default search. Never found anything I liked better. I tried Everything and it seemed to be slightly lacking as Joe mentioned. Yes, the inital indexing does take a while but after initial indexing, searches seem very fast and right on.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    As others have stated you can't get XP search back, but you can get something very close ... FileSearchEX ... when I upgraded to Windows 7 x64 from XP x64 I was in total shock with the default search! Also, if you're like me you probably want the "UP" arrow button. You can get that via ClassicShell. ClassicShell let's you do other things, but I just use it to give the up button only.

Thanks
    I'm going to give a big Hooray! for the Classic Shell. It pretty well takes care of most of the negatives I feel about Windows 7.
    It's like any other program, in that you install it and if you don't like it, you UN-Install it.

No harm, no foul.

I'm installing it for all my customers that are upgrading to a new PC with Windows 7 installed.
    Experience tells me that's the best thing for both my customer and me. Otherwise, I'm getting
    late night phone calls about something they want to do and can't figure out how to do.

Thank goodness I don't have to run W-7 as my main OS.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Doc, To each his own. I love the Windows 7 interface except for the search functionality for which I use Search Everything. (I have never had the need to search for content within a file). The only feature of Windows search i use is finding apps and features (both programs and control panel) quickly from the start orb. Nothing like it in the classic shells. But to each his own. That's why they are called Personel Computers.

Jerry