Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Macros for beginners (Word 97 SR 2)

I have a document in the form of an RTF file, on which I wish to run the following Word Macro (kindly written by Gary Frieder) [it could be ANY Word macro, of course]:

Public Sub DeleteAllFrames()
    Dim n As Long
    For n = ActiveDocument.Frames.Count To 1 Step -1
    ActiveDocument.Frames(n).Select
    With Selection.ParagraphFormat
    .Borders(wdBorderLeft).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderRight).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderTop).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    .Borders(wdBorderBottom).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
    End With
    ActiveDocument.Frames(n).Delete
    Next n
    End Sub

Having used the macro editor once only in my life, I would be very grateful if someone could list step by step the <font color=blue>simplest way</font color=blue> of copying and running this macro once only (I would never need it again in that document, but might want to run it once each on a number of other documents). I would like to do this in a "minimally invasive" manner - by which I mean I would prefer not to save it in the document (if this is possible) or to assign to the keyboard or to a toolbar. Could the macro be run from an external file, perhaps?

I suspect step 1 might be to save the original RTF document as a DOC - but what would be the simplest way of proceding from there?

Thanks very much!

John Gray
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Macros for beginners (Word 97 SR 2)

Hi John,

You aren't the Mars & Venus guy are you?

Anyway, you are right that you want to start with a Word document.

Take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/macrosfromnewsgroup.htm> Macros and VBA from Newsgroups</A>. There are step-by-step instructions. If they don't make sense, please write back.

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chas

NO - I thought that book was the biggest load of breathtaking rubbish that I've ever read, and I'm ashamed to have the same name as that guy!

I will read through your website information, and thanks for the pointer! I presume that I cannot simply "run" the macro from an external file (which would be the simplest action from my point of view...).

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

You can create a new template and store your seldom used macros in there. To activate them for use in other documents, go into Tools, Templates and Add-ins, and add them to the list of global templates. If they are not in one of your Startup folders, they will only load when you manually check the box.