New Lounger
    Thanks

Regarding SP1 and Language Packs

Hi, this is my first post. Heard about this place in passing, so i hope that I can find this place very useful

When SP1 first came out, i tried to install on both my Win7 PCs. They both froze up numerous times and required much use of repair disc, etc. I came to find out it was the Language Packs I have installed.

For one, I want to know if this issue is fixed (I am running W7x64 on both PCs btw; both PCs are ones that I built, not factory assembled).

Anyhow, after this happened I tried to look at my updates from uninstall software, and i saw many updates, but not the language packs. I don't really know how to uninstall them. Apparently, neither does the staff from Microsoft because someone from Redmond condescendingly told me to look exactly where I had, in the uninstall software/ show updates (I believe he was a programmer). Since they don't seem to even know, maybe there are more knowledgeable people here.

If I am forced to update to SP1 and they haven't fixed this issue by then (SP1 not installing b/c Language Packs installed), could someone please advise where I can really find this stuff to remove it.

I have a pertinent question, too. If i uninstall the Language Packs, are all my files with non- ANSI filenames and information in them in other languages going to become unintelligible gibberish? Perhaps some of you have seen a text file before that you got from someone whose PC turned foreign language files into a bunch of strange characters of no real language. Just lots of diamonds and dollar signs and other unknown weirdness. I have a lot of files scattered throughout my PCs that include other languages other than English, and i don't want to have all these files turned into unusable messes if i remove the Language Packs. I would prefer to know in advance that I MUST back all these things up to an off-line drive or DVDs until I can re-install the Language Packs.
    I hope that this issue has been fixed for SP1, but I certainly don't hold out much hope for it. I expect the long and arduous process of probably backing things up, uninstalling, re-downloading at snail speed from the MS servers, reinstalling. And then do it all over again on the second PC.
    Last edited by djmasturbeat; 2011-05-12 at 07:10. Reason: punctuation

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    It appears that Microsoft have released a patch for the language pack issue with SP1. See Patch Tuesday updates for SP-1 problems.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the link