5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Updates Won't Stay Unselected

This is rather long winded because I tried posting a short version in a different thread and it got lost in a different discussion.

I have Win7 Updates set to automatically look for updates but not to download or install. Here's the thing, I don't want to install the updates until I've had a chance to go through them and see what they are. My most frequent reference for this is Susan Bradley's column in the WS Newsletter. But since these updates trickle in, often one or two a week, it may be a couple weeks before I get around to reviewing them.

The problem is, when it finds new ones, it automatically marks them to be installed and will not take no for an answer when I say Don't Install. If I open the Update program right now, it says "12 important updates are available" "4 important updates selected".

If I click the available tag, it gives me the list and I can then uncheck the 4 selected. I then click OK and it takes me back to the main screen which now says "no updates currently selected". Good. BUT if i close this windows and open it back up again, it's going to once again show 4 selected. It's like a dog with a bone it won't let go.

Now, on two occasions, I've had to reboot for some reason and caught Win7 installing those updates. Once was at a time when I had it downloading but not installing and it installed something that I had to uninstall to fix a problem it had created, the other time I was after I changed and had to abort the download.

Now, I know that I can "Hide" the updates if I never want to install them, but what I really want is for it to just stop re-selecting these things while I decide what to do. This is one of those really stupid Windows things that it seems only MS can manage to get so badly wrong. How can I make it behave?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The fixes are in a category that gets automatically selected when you run Windows Update. On the consumer side of Windows you have no control over what is automatically selected for installation when you run Windows Update. Windows Update only tracks what you hide not what you deselect. Just because you choose not to install a fix this time does not mean you don't want to install it next time you run Windows Update. So, unless you hide the update Windows Update will select those updates each time it is run.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not running it again. I'm just opening the window back up again.

I don't know if this matters or not, but it's behaving as if it's an open pipe to MS updates. Updates are set to check once a day, but this seems to be constantly checking. I can open it in the morning and find something there and hide or install it and an hour later there's something new.

It seems that the only way to get it to stop trying to update my computer every 5 minutes is to turn it off completely. I don't know what the heck is going on but this has become absolutely absurd.

Thanks
    When you open the window back up, Windows Update will automatically recheck these updates. When you open the window back up it is as if you have just opened it the first time. As Joe stated, simply hide the update until you decide it's time to install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy