Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Non-standard" Folder Locations and Win 7 Backup

In the latest Windows Secrets newsletter article by Fred Langa "Build a complete Windows 7 safety net" he discusses the differences between "Let Windows choose" and "Let me choose option" for what to backup. For the second option he mentions that this option "...is most useful when you've set up your system in a nonstandard way, with user files in nondefault locations".

My question is this: If I have relocated the My Documents folder to another drive following the MS recommended procedure and I use the 'Let Windows choose" option will Backup follow the links/path to the files on the other drive and include them in the backup as if I didn't move them? It would seem logical that it would but with MS one is never sure.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I would not assume that it will work as you hope. You can always try it once to see. If it does not work as you want you'll have to reconfigure it and choose the backup locations yourself.

Joe

Thanks
    I also relocated all data folders to the D Drive. I did not let Windows choose, but Let me choose option. This option worked fine. The Windows Backup was very slow to my Ext USB HD. Much slower than my Images using Acronis. I will see tonight if the daily backups are quicker than the initial backup of my data. I suspect they will be.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I had been making backups with the "Let Windows choose" option for several months now but after reading Fred's article I decided to verify that my assumption was correct and it does seem to be actually following the path/link to the relocated data folders.

When I browse for files to restore, the Restore program shows a "Backup on my external drive" and a "Kevin's backup". Clicking on "Kevin's backup" shows files in the folders under the Users folder for Kevin from the C: drive. Clicking on the external drive backup shows a Backup of C: and a Backup of D:. Under the Backup of D: there are all the relocated data folders. I checked some of the files under that location and they are the latest versions.

Thanks
    I concur with that. it will follow the link when it comes to a documents folder and others, that were properly moved to another destination.
    [properly=Registry data intact/reflecting moved folders etc.]

It is best to use another internal drive for folder relocation and not an external drive. With your way of doing it, the drive would be required to be always plugged in and ready upon each boot, otherwise the os would 1, throw errors and 2, possibly recreate empty folders who knows where if it cannot detect the external drive, and 3, create unnecessary hooks from the external drive onto the os.

...And if your file system is organized to the extent that it is, why bother to use MS backup in this way at all?
    Since you are already proficient enough to move those folders to other locations, all you would need to do next, in terms of a reliable backup, would be to just copy them to CD/DVD, thumb drive, or external drive for safe keeping.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint,
    Thanks for the input. I had relocated the folders to a second internal drive. The external drive is only for backups.