Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics placement problem - 2003 SP3 win XP

I am having an increasing problem placing graphics vertically with respect to text on a page.

I usually position the graphic next to the text, set the graphic to square, right and move the anchor to a common point - if there are other graphics on the page.

Sometimes the text moves vertically but not much and I can usually re-place it with a slight tweek to the graphic's placement.

Now, in a lot of cases, the text moves by quite a lot and I have great difficulty in re-placing it. This usually results in the graphic being out of line.

Example: A while back I created a page with 5 graphics all on the right and lined up with the text. I copied that page into a new document (same template, styles etc.) and the graphics will not line up. Moving the graphics vertically moves the text vertically by a large amount so that the text paragraph spacing is way off.

The first document still looks OK but the new document is quite different.

This is a relatively new experience. Although I have automatic updates turned off, has there been an update recently that causes this?

I did not have this problem with SP2 nor with SP3 initially. However, I have noticed other graphic related issues between the packs.

thanks

Allan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Allan,

This is just a longshot, but one possibility is that the background graphics grid setting somehow got changed in your Normal.dot template, so that all new documents are affected by this setting.

To check this, create a new blank document, and make sure the Drawing toolbar is displayed. On the Drawing toolbar, click on Draw > Grid, to display the Drawing Grid dialog. Out of the box, the horizontal and vertical grid spacing settings will display as 0.13" (which is really 0.125" - Word doesn't display these types of measurements beyond 2 decimals).

If you see larger settings in this dialog, you can set it back to the default by typing 0.125 for both horizontal and vertical spacing, and then clicking on the 'Default' button and confirming Yes at the prompt. Changing this however would not fix the grid setting in any existing documents which may have a larger grid setting applied.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Allan,

This is just a longshot, but one possibility is that the background graphics grid setting somehow got changed in your Normal.dot template, so that all new documents are affected by this setting.

To check this, create a new blank document, and make sure the Drawing toolbar is displayed. On the Drawing toolbar, click on Draw > Grid, to display the Drawing Grid dialog. Out of the box, the horizontal and vertical grid spacing settings will display as 0.13" (which is really 0.125" - Word doesn't display these types of measurements beyond 2 decimals).

If you see larger settings in this dialog, you can set it back to the default by typing 0.125 for both horizontal and vertical spacing, and then clicking on the 'Default' button and confirming Yes at the prompt. Changing this however would not fix the grid setting in any existing documents which may have a larger grid setting applied.

Gary

Hi Gary

This appears not to be the cause of the problem. Also, the graphics are not locked to the grid.

The template sets line spacing for the header, header 2 and header 3 and body text styles.

If there is no graphic, the spacing is as per the styles.

It there is a graphic, then that spacing can be way off (larger) producing a noticeable gap - as if the enter key had been pressed.

When this happens, it is very difficult to re-position the text without having the graphic way out of where it should be.

Allan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Allan,

Another thing to look at: graphics have 'Distance from text' settings as part of their Text Wrapping properties - it's possible that the default settings somehow got expanded in the graphics in your document.

To check this: right-click on the graphic, and choose Format AutoShape. Click on the Layout tab, then on the Advanced button, and then on the Text Wrapping tab. Under Distance from Text, you'll see settings for Top, Bottom, Left and Right. By default, these will be set to 0" for Top and Bottom, and .13" for Left and Right. If these are by any chance set to larger values, that could cause the unexpected setoff from text.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary

I had checked for this and, in all cases - so far, the vertical adjustment is 0"

thanks

Allan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Allan,

Sorry to say out of ideas. Can you post a sample document that demonstrates the problem, that we can try out?

Gary