New Lounger
    Thanks

System Resore fails

Hello,

I have win7 pro with latest updates and SP; I also use NIS2011. I tried multiple times to restore my system to yesterday ( or earlier) and they all failed. Something about possible AV conflict.

So, I turned off NIS autoprotect; turned off NIS tamper feature. Both times no restore.
    I completely uninstalled NIS and tried again...no go. Same message about system restore failing and I should disable AV.

I read about using Safe Mode; tried that...again no luck. I looked for any other explanation but could not find any. I just turned system restore off since it seems to do me no good.

In all cases, system restore goes through all the motions; system restarts and I always get that box that says it failed to completely restore my system.

Anybody have any good suggestions? Thanks...
    George

Thanks
    Control Panel, System, System Protection link on left. (Don't be concerned that I have System Restore turned off, I use Imaging regularly so do not need it) Have you looked at the System Restore Properties. Are your Restore Settings and Disk Usage set properly. I would choose the first option for Restore Settings, and choose Disk Space enough to save several restore points.

I suspect that somehow your NIS may have caused a corruption to your System Restore points. Seems unusual but not impossible. Are you attempting to Restore because of a failure with your PC? You don't actually state why. You may hae to perform a Repair Install to fix your problem. I would also look into Imaging. Read all about it in the Security and Backups forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying to restore after I installed MS Visual Web Developer Express. It seemed easier than removing all the components listed in the Uninstall Programs list. I had already checked the items you mentioned and I also thought NIS might have caused a problem and that's why I uninstlled it. I did not consider that it might have corrupted the restore point, however.

I already use disk imaging and I will stay with that for the future. I have Acronis and I will not be using the the "try new software" option much more.

Thanks
    You may also want to try doing an image restore via the bootable repair disk.
    It circumvents the operating system entirely which may provide the greatest degree of success.
    I do all of my image restorations from the created boot disk.